Author
Topic: Is Paper money collecting an essential male hobby?  (Read 9685 times)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 06:56:52 pm »

It would be great to have a significant other as a collector. If they check all their bills for radars, and such.  ;D. My wife thinks I'm crazy. :p

It's also great to have a son as a paper money collector. He has a lot of luck when going to banks asking for specific bundles of $5, $10 bills and finding radars. He's found quite a few BEK Inserts in circulation, he was the one who got a AU BET $10 in his change in Ottawa.......
CA_Banknotes, too bad you didn't meet Donna70 back when, huh?  ;)

Most guys who collect paper money simply get this reaction from their wives, mothers, sisters, etc:  ::).

Welcome aboard Donna!

see323
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 04:31:22 am »

It's true in this part of the world as well. Coins and banknote collecting are mostly male dominated hobby. My wife gets interested whenever I purchased something new and whenever I sold something old.  ::). She will always ask this question. Do you really have to sell this piece. Why not keep it for our son and daughter.  :( I will always answer her. It's not part of the collection.  8-).  :D

WINS#665

Singapore Numismatics Association (SNA) Life Membership L-161
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 08:27:17 pm »

This is my first post.

I have been collecting for many years and (like everyone here) I find men much more interested in the hobby than women.  I think that's unfortunate since paper money is indeed art, a national iconic reflection of our culture, and of course a symbol of currency (with monetary value).  Its historic value shouldn't be overlooked either.  I hope to see more women involved in the future.  Perhaps if paper money becomes polymerized, and the value of it goes up, then maybe more people will take to collecting it.  Unfortunately, I think the majority of Canadians (including women) only think of money for what it can buy.   :o  I can relate to the comments made about the significant others' reactions to another purchase.  However, having said that, I can also imagine women being more involved in a side line kind of capacity (as Troy mentioned).

I think we should encourage more women into the hobby.  It might even make the value of our collections go up!

James

Login with username, password and session length