Author
Topic: I receive the charlton Catalogue!!!!  (Read 17758 times)
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« on: July 15, 2005, 02:06:49 pm »

If you want some information I have it!!
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 02:33:17 pm »

Cool - could you tell me how much a set of Multicolour specimen notes is going for this year?  Last year the set of 9 was $1,950.  Thanks.

Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:37:12 pm »

I went to Montreal Stamps and Coins yesterday and they just received many books.

Montreal Stamps & Coins
1878 Ste-Catherine East
Montreal
(514) 527-1526

In front of Papineau Metro station.

Philippe
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 02:39:11 pm »

The new price for the multicoulour Specimen set is $2150.00

Philippe
Bitburger
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 02:47:03 pm »

Set of 9 Multi

2150$
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 04:02:19 pm »

Thank you both; looks like Specimens are good investments -- the rise from $1,950 to $2,150 is a 10.26% return - not bad with today's GIC rates!

JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 12:59:47 am »

I went to Montreal Stamps and Coins yesterday and they just received many books.

Montreal Stamps & Coins
1878 Ste-Catherine East
Montreal
(514) 527-1526

In front of Papineau Metro station.

Do you think they still have lots in-stock? Papineau metro... a little outta my way :-/
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 04:16:15 am »

I think they ordered two boxes of books, so they should have plenty left.

I only paid $18.00, no taxes, no shipping.

Philippe
Bitburger
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 04:54:24 am »

I know everyone there at Timbres et Monnaies on Papineau. Usually they order catalogue for the year.
John_O
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 09:09:16 am »

I'm curious about the following notes in UNC:

1954 $1 *N/Y
1954 $10 *U/T
1954 $10 *B/V

Can you check the prices, and post them for me.

Thank you very kindly,
John O
JB-2007
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 11:41:11 am »

I believe the *N/Y in UNC increased 300% from the last edition.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 12:18:05 pm »

I'm curious about the following notes in UNC:

1954 $1 *N/Y
1954 $10 *U/T
1954 $10 *B/V

Can you check the prices, and post them for me.

Please be reminded of the What's It Worth rules. If you look at the stickied post at the top of that forum you will find:
...we're also not here to save you from buying book. If you have more than few notes... well, hopefully the point is taken.
In other words, please buy your own Charlton books. We are not here to re-publish the book electronically, and furthermore, doing so even in part is not something we want to do to our very good friends at the Charlton Press.

Please buy your own 18th Edition books. They are very reasonably priced at $19.95 each. Many dealers have them by now. They will also be widely available at the CNA convention in Calgary next week.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
John_O
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 04:38:49 pm »

I have full intentions on buying the 18th edition, as soon as one becomes available to me.
Bitbuger mentioned if there were any notes people are interested in, to let him know.

John
JB-2007
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 04:40:33 pm »

Made a quick trip down to Papineau/st-catherine this morning and picked up a copy. They still have some left. I believe they are the only ones who have copies here in montreal.  ;)

JB-2007
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 04:46:59 pm »

Please be reminded of the What's It Worth rules. If you look at the stickied post at the top of that forum you will find:
...we're also not here to save you from buying book. If you have more than few notes... well, hopefully the point is taken.
In other words, please buy your own Charlton books. We are not here to re-publish the book electronically, and furthermore, doing so even in part is not something we want to do to our very good friends at the Charlton Press.

Please buy your own 18th Edition books. They are very reasonably priced at $19.95 each. Many dealers have them by now. They will also be widely available at the CNA convention in Calgary next week.

BWJM, we are not trying to break any rules... some of us are very anxious to know if a few of our notes in particular have increased. We all have (at least most of us) intentions on buying the 18th edition however, those who live outside major cities tend to have a much longer wait for the new edition.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 04:47:55 pm by JB105 »
Bitburger
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 05:01:38 pm »

Monnaies de Versailles in Place Versailles East Island Montreal has received them too

Place Versailles Second Floor, Metro Radisson.
(514) 352-9101
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 06:18:39 pm »

I just picked up my copy of the 18th edition at House of Stamps in Square One (Mississauga).  Owner said they got them in yesterday and the are selling like crazy (though probably not as crazy as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  :o)
runningonempty
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 07:14:35 pm »

BWJM, we are not trying to break any rules... some of us are very anxious to know if a few of our notes in particular have increased. We all have (at least most of us) intentions on buying the 18th edition however, those who live outside major cities tend to have a much longer wait for the new edition.

Here here.I drove to Vancouver,about a 45 minute drive on a good day,visited the two largest dealers in the Lower Mainland,and niether had the new catalogue yet.
I have every intention of purchasing the new Charlton Paper Guide when it becomes available here in Lotus Land.Given the laid back style of West Coasters that could be weeks! ;D ;)

With that said,I hope I'm not breaking a forum rule,can someone please tell me the new solid radar prices of the Modifide 1954 series.

respectfully runningonempty.
JB-2007
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 07:36:10 pm »

Here here.I drove to Vancouver,about a 45 minute drive on a good day,visited the two largest dealers in the Lower Mainland,and niether had the new catalogue yet.
I have every intention of purchasing the new Charlton Paper Guide when it becomes available here in Lotus Land.Given the laid back style of West Coasters that could be weeks! ;D ;)

With that said,I hope I'm not breaking a forum rule,can someone please tell me the new solid radar prices of the Modifide 1954 series.

respectfully runningonempty.

Of course, we should be alowed to ask the value of a note here and there... The solid radars are worth
$1, $2 -$500
$5, $10, $20 -$550
$50 -$600
$100 -$650
Again a few of us have been lucky to obtain a new copy but of course for those who are having trouble getting there new copy (as said earlier) i have no problem at all providing a little info on a particular note.
runningonempty
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 07:45:14 pm »

Thank you JB-2005

I'm a little disappointed,only the $1's and $2's went up over the 17th edition.
??? ::)
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 08:58:15 pm »

Two short requests, and I have total intention of buying a copy of the catalogue as soon as I can.
Bonin-Thiessen $5 ANX in AU and UNC,
Devil $1,000 in EF.
Thanks...
JB-2007
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2005, 09:02:44 pm »

$70, $150, $4,500 respectivelly
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:10:27 am by JB105 »
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 10:08:56 pm »

It seems that this happens every year, around this time of year, when the new issues of Charlton's come out.

Would the forum have any suggestions to reduce the stress this causes to the members and/or the moderators?  Of course, other than, as BWJM would probably say, to stop doing it?  ;D

Off the top of my head I can think of two:

1) The moderators can put up a temporary thread each year, where you can go wild and ask for as many prices as you wish, but only between July ?? and July 31, with the understanding that nobody is obligated to give you the prices you ask for, and you won't bug people for prices if they don't give them to you.

2) Members with current copies of the catalogue who are willing to give out prices can tell us to PM them, so that members can do this between themselves and not clutter up the forum with excessive posts.

I am thinking that either of the above two measures could be used temporarily (i.e. only for two weeks or so) until the end of July or early August while we each seek out our own copies of the catalogue.

Here's another idea:

3) You can go to the J&M's Jewellery & Coin shop website and search through their banknote price lists.  Link to the site:

https://www.jandm.com/defaultsecure.htm

You should click the blue "Catalog" button at the top lefthand corner of the page [not the green "Catalogue Info" button] and take it from there by scrolling down the left-hand side of the page to "Canadian Bank Notes".

The values correspond more or less to Charlton's prices.  They don't thoroughly break down their prices to cover all prefixes - but it will give you a good idea of the market value for your notes if you don't have the Charlton's book for a given year.  If there are also coin collectors among us (mutants!  ;D) you can also use this site to price your coins.

Of course, if my ideas would get us into hot water with Charlton's and/or J&M's I'm sure a moderator will slap my wrist accordingly and we'll just forget the whole thing :'(

To be honest, I will not buy a catalog this year.  I am not adding any more notes to my collection in the near future, and I don't intend to sell any of my collection, so for me buying a copy every other year will be sufficient.  Naturally in those years that I don't buy a catalogue I will be curious to see how my more valuable notes have (hopefully) appreciated in value, so I will ask for a few prices.  I see nothing wrong with this, as long as I am not piggish about it and use this forum to value my ENTIRE collection every year.

paul_in_north_bay
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 08:47:42 pm »

Chill out BWJM! Is this not a forum for sharing information ??? I personally get the book every year and enjoy helping people with there questions. If we all said buy the book, what would be the point of this forum? Are there other underlying reasons for not wanting to inform people ???
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 09:21:09 pm »

I think questions about new prices should be kept to PM's.  Many like myself have to wait a while to get the book and I like to find out for myself the new prices.  So not telling any prices on the forum is a good thing, as it doesn't "ruin it" for anyone.  And PM's for those who just can't wait and want to know prices right away.

Marc :)
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 09:27:18 pm »

Marc et al: There are so many changes to this book there is no way many of anyone's surprises will be "ruined." This is not like Christmas morning and all the presents have been unwrapped. This is a courtesy among forum members, many of whom do not have have access to the book yet, but I'd wager 95 per cent of whom will buy the book and spend hours poring over the contents. In about a week or so, when the book is available to most, this whole issue will subside until next year, when it will be repeated. To quell the enthusiasm by stifling a bit of information  exchange is unwrapping the present.... cheers ... al
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 09:49:20 pm »

I think that if a member wants to know the value of a few notes and others are willing to answer, why not.

I also think if someone is asking the value of such high priced notes as solid radars,EHX Lawson, french $25,1954 $10 *B/V in unc and so on then they will be getting a book as soon as they can.

I have to have my catalogue shipped to me because I don't think my one dealer in town will get any in.

Gary_T
runningonempty
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 10:37:58 pm »

In about a week or so, when the book is available to most, this whole issue will subside until next year, when it will be repeated. To quell the enthusiasm by stifling a bit of information  exchange is unwrapping the present.... cheers ... al

Sure seems that way!
Many,myselfr included,can not obtain the new catalogue for another week or more,I think it a great benefit of the CPMF to be able to come here and get an 'early' up-date.

The idea of having to PM someone,does a dis-service to the forum as a whole imo,because many of the notes inquired about may not be asked by someone in particular,yet we all benefit from the knowledge.

I have over 100 different notes,good lord,if I even start to ask new catalogue prices of 10%,in different catagories,BAN ME,lol. :D

Let's all relax,this Forum is about knowledge,and helping our fellow collectors.To up-date someone on the worth of a small part of their collection seems a noble endevour :)

Now about those 100 notes................lol ;D ::) ;)

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2005, 12:58:06 pm »

What are BEK J-D Non-Insert and Insert notes priced at? I also want to know about the FDZ 9.6 K/D value too. I'm asking, since I cannot get a catalogue until September, since I am here in Hong Kong until September 1st.
paul_in_north_bay
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 11:39:17 am »

Sorry CA Banknotes, :( I can not help you because I don`t have my new book yet. This is disgraceful :( I can not believe no one wants to help this person >:( :( :-[ good bye
Dr.Bill
  • CPMS Member 1520
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2005, 11:57:16 am »

What are BEK J-D Non-Insert and Insert notes priced at? I also want to know about the FDZ 9.6 K/D value too. I'm asking, since I cannot get a catalogue until September, since I am here in Hong Kong until September 1st.

For UNC notes, BEK (2003) @ $25, BEK inserts @ $40, and FDZ 9.6 K/D @ $65.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:58:06 am by Dr.Bill »

Login with username, password and session length