Author
Topic: Excessive # of planchettes = error note??  (Read 6522 times)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:43:53 pm »

I have a 1974 $2 Lawson-Bouey note, prefix BS, and when holding it up to a strong light source, I count about 60 (sixty!) planchettes, including 3 white areas where the planchettes have come off.  In all I'd say there are no less than 55 planchettes still attached.

Is there such thing as too many planchettes and would this be a type of error?  I don't have another $2 note readily available for comparison, but I was hard-pressed to find 4 planchettes on a circulated 1975 $50 note I have...

My $2 note is otherwise an unremarkable example in Fine condition...even if its abundance of green dots doesn't make it an error note, I will still keep it and refer to it affectionately as my "dalmation" note.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:03:56 am »

A scan would be helpful, as usual ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 02:26:01 am »

Oh, I get it...given the frequent nature of my posts and that the prefix is BS you think I'm putting you on...

Well, the scan doesn't show much, as you need a strong source of light behind the note to see all the planchettes.  Therefore I also laid the note on top of a fluorescent light and took some pix with my cheap digital camera.

First the scan...

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 02:32:38 am »

Now the digital photo [this is a composite of two separate photos I took of the left and right side of the note and then merged as best as I could into one photo using Microsoft's Picture It! program]...

I can e-mail a moderator or administrator somewhat better photos where I took 2 photos of the note laid face-up on a light source, and 2 photos laid face-down, but the 4 photos combined are more than 5 Mb in size...

BTW...if Charlton's, the CPMS or another agency adopts the term "dalmatian note" for this potentially new variety of error, I want credit [and I realize I spelled dalmatian wrong in my first post]  ;)

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:46:27 am »

Oh, I get it...given the frequent nature of my posts and that the prefix is BS you think I'm putting you on...

I said nothing of the sort. You're making wild assumptions again, just like Don was doing in the other thread. ;D

Interesting note.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 04:02:33 am »

I said nothing of the sort. You're making wild assumptions again, just like Don was doing in the other thread. ;D

Interesting note.

I must admit - you've got me this time :-[...should I amend my other post to read "...you might think I'm putting you on"?

Hey...wait a minute...above you said "You're making wild assumptions again"...when have I ever done this before?  :-/

Anyway, though it might not show up too well in the above pictures, there are a good 55 planchettes remaining on this note - anyone have any idea what the "norm" is and if I've got something here?

Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:04:59 am »

That's the way BS print bills...It's a joke, French Canadians will understand lolll it was too easy sorry  ;D
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 04:09:35 am »

I'm not French-Canadian but I think I get it...would "BS" mean "British Subjects" perhaps?  Again, I'm asking - not assuming - lest I get Brent started again... ;D

Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 04:27:50 am »

BS is the abbreviaton for Bien-ĂȘtre Social ( that means in French Wealthfare). It is the pejorative way to name people that benefit from Wealthfare system. A BS does not work and wait for his check..., so If I say it has been printed by a BS...Imagine why it's bad printed  ;D  The BS note... ah ah
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 04:28:40 am by Bitburger »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 04:31:12 am »

Hi all, this is a comment on the teminology in the first post.  If this note was considered somthing extra special, it would be a "Variety", but not an "error".  An error would be something like a Mis Cut, or a double denomination note-- something where it was made in error (perhaps by a machine screw up or whatever).

Variety: possibly, but error: no.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 04:55:27 pm »

Hi all, this is a comment on the teminology in the first post.  If this note was considered somthing extra special, it would be a "Variety", but not an "error".  An error would be something like a Mis Cut, or a double denomination note-- something where it was made in error (perhaps by a machine screw up or whatever).

Variety: possibly, but error: no.
Sorry, in my earlier post where I say "..if Charlton's, the CPMS or another agency adopts the term 'dalmatian note' for this potentially new variety of error...", the phrase "type of anomaly" may have been more apt, as I didn't intend to confuse the regular vs. the "Charlton" meanings of the words in question.

However, Hudson AB now has me a bit confused...

I thought "variety" as used by Charlton's refers to variations within a denomination for a particular issue - e.g. changes in signatures, regular vs. replacement notes, 2 vs. 3 letter prefixes and even some of the prefixes themselves.  But the "varieties" listed in Charlton's arose only because of intentional changes implemented by the BofC.  An abnormal number of planchettes does not arise from a planned change, and is not limited to a particular denomination or issue, so I don't know if the term "variety" could be applied.

I see Hudson's point in that "errors", such as those illustrated in Charlton's, would tend to suggest deviations from the norm that the BofC or its note printers would deem to make a note unfit for circulation - double denominations, cutting/folding/printing errors, serial numbers missing or out of register, etc.  I doubt if the BofC would consider an excess of green dots [it's tiring to keep typing "planchettes"!] as making a note unfit, but what if a note were issued without any green dots?  Wouldn't this amount to a missing security feature and thus qualify as a true "error"?

It appears that neither "variety" nor "error" is a suitable term for the "green-dot anomalies".  However I do think that these notes could be considered an area of "special interest" to collectors, along with radar notes, low serial numbered notes, million numbered notes, etc.  These notes also are neither "varieties" nor "errors".

I guess the most logical solution would be to put hyperplanchetted notes [those with too many green dots], hypoplanchetted notes [those without enough dots] and aplanchetted notes [those without any dots] into the same general category as the other "special interest" notes.  Whoa...why did I just have a flashback to my "chiral/racemic" post?  ::)

Don't worry, I'm nearly done - I can almost hear Brent snoring loudly in the background.  Hey, I only got two hours' sleep last night, and I'm still awake having sat here typing all this (although my butt has gone to sleep - but if it starts snoring loudly, I'm the one who will have to deal with the consequences ;D).

But seriously, if the norm is, say, 15 dots and a note has like 50 (or none at all), then I would think this type of note is at least as valid an area for niche collectors as: birthday notes ???.  It's just a matter of figuring out how to price over- and under-dotted notes...

'Kay, I'm done :-*

"And the congregation said: Praise the Lord!"
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:04:28 am by venga50 »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 10:23:29 pm »

Haha! :)  Sounds like the right idea.  A note with no planchettes, would be like a note without the shiny maple leaf security feature - same idea anyway.  Hyper and Hypo... I like those ones  ;)
Special interest note? I would say so.

Later,
Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length