Author
Topic: Is this $10 fake?  (Read 4129 times)
bunkyray5
« on: July 29, 2005, 12:48:18 pm »

I was give a $10 Issue of 2001 note with a serial number prefix of NWS which I've never seen before. The font of the serial number is also different from anyting I've ever seen. Many of the features, such as the microprinting and the gold leaves are not sharp, especially under a magnifiying glass. The note is well worn which may account for some of this, but I'm still suspicious. Any comments?

P.S. I'm an American who visits Canada a couple of times a year and was given this note at a foreign currency exchange dealer in the U.S.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 12:50:51 pm »

Its a fake.

bunkyray5
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 02:48:01 pm »

Thanks for your comments. The note I have also has the double front-plate number 14 as pictured on BWJM's post to the "WER0128495 spotted again!" topic, except that the first number 1 is cut off, so it has 4  14 instead of 14  14.
Also, the serial number font is the same as the picture on copperpetes post to the "Faked 10$ note prefix CXT" topic, except the note I have has a NWS prefix.
It was this font which made me suspicious, then the prefix. I'm not Canadian, but I've been a world paper money collector so I am somewhat familiar with Canadian currency. The rest of this note is a well-done fake, so I also wonder why the forger blew the serial number.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 11:50:32 pm »

Every GOOD phoney bill I have seen has been given away by exactly what you said.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length