Author
Topic: What do you make of this? Odd but Funny as hell!  (Read 7672 times)
shelbyfoote
« on: August 29, 2005, 09:18:22 pm »

Hi, I just found this auction on EBay "Rare Canada BC-44E 1954 series $1000 Thiessen Crow" and was wondering whether this is for real or not? I was thinking of bidding but was a bit spooked by the story. Whatever it is this guy seems to need to get out a bit more, or maybe stay in.  Hi, I just found this auction on EBay and was wondering whether this is for real or not? I was thinking of bidding but was a bit spooked by the story. Whatever it is this guy seems to need to get out a bit more, or maybe stay in.

Here it is: the rarest Canadian bill you’re likely to see on eBay. The much sought after and rarely encountered BC-44E 1954 series modified $1000 note signed by Deputy Governor Gordon G. Thiessen and Governor John W. Crow. This was the last of the 1954 modified portrait varieties to appear; issued briefly in 1992 until the 1988-dated Birds Series $1,000's were ready. A total of 240,000 were printed. Of these notes, only a tiny fraction were ever released into circulation. The remaining notes were destroyed by the mint. This note is in choice au condition. With just a couple of light counting bends. This note is listed as one of the top ten rarest Canadian notes in the Canadian paper money museum. When I got this note it was one of the happiest days of my life. A lot of people will tell you that acquiring a Dominion of Canada $5 banknote will make your collection, but I can tell you that is crap. They obviously never touched a BC-44E, because after you have, you’ll never want another note as much ever again! When I got it I was finally Somebody! When I would go down to the Burger King, the guys there treated me with respect. Nobody got tired of seeing the wallet sized photo of the note that I carried everywhere with me. Even my wife had to agree that I had made it when a group of local kids came by the house and asked to see the note. I told them to get lost and, later that week, they egged my house. My house! Why am I selling? Well it’s like this; the same wife that I just mentioned is leaving me. She never understood my need to collect. She never understood the importance of the field or the intrinsic value of the pieces themselves. I once caught her taking a 1986 Birds $5 Note with a Misplaced Serial Number Error to go buy cigarettes with!! I should have known then that it wasn’t going to work out. It’s a little late now though, but one thing I can do is stop her from getting the jewel in my crown. She threatened me that she was going to take it to Senor Frogs for the craziest margarita Monday anyone had ever seen! So I will do what I said I never would and sell it on to another collector. Let my pain be your gain!

[Edit: Removed URL, added description. --BWJM]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 04:57:44 am by BWJM »
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:30:45 pm »

HA!   :)

Great sales job; I really wouldn't want to walk onto a used car lot with him working there - I'd end up leaving with a rusted out Lada thinking it was a collector's classic.

That being said, he is correct about the quantity printed, but he is certainly throwing in a lot of hyperbole regarding "rarity".

It is with all things Ebay; BUYER BEWARE!!  I think this is an important point for the thread talking about Charlton pricing.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
bankerblair
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:01:16 pm »

That has to be one of the most colorful descriptions i've read in a while! That's awesome. I like the whole burger king bit.  

"When I would go down to the Burger King, the guys there treated me with respect. Nobody got tired of seeing the wallet sized photo of the note that I carried everywhere with me."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:02:14 pm by bankerblair »
Bob
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:41:51 pm »

As rare as that, are they?  Too bad I spent one a few months ago, paying for some repairs to the barn.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 10:42:23 pm »

This is getting printed off by me and getting filed into my Top 10 best descriptive stories about anything.  Short and sweet.  I am still laughing!  :)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 12:36:57 am »

Get that guy a job in Marketing somewhere!  :D

Though I can relate, I have one of the same notes here, in UNC, that I hid so that "She Who Must Be Obeyed" couldn't spend it. Of course, now I can't find it either.

On the other hand, I found this note easily enough, a Devil's Face $1000 in UNC, now THAT's hard.   ::)
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 12:54:39 am »

Though this note is fairly rare, it isn't the rarest. I believe the EKX $1,000 is the rarest one to find
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 01:07:03 am »

I don't blame his wife for leaving him.  Who in the world would keep a mini-sized photo of their prized note over his/her spouse in their wallet!??  :-/

(I will be removing my wallet sized photograph of my most prized possession, a $100 autographed note - otherwise I will be in the same boat with my significant other).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:07:58 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 04:56:20 am »

Some of that text is strikingly similar to what appears on my website. :o Jeez that irritates me when people copy it word-for-word. Well, at least he didn't snag the images this time.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 11:51:41 am »

It is copied exactly word for word from your site, right up to the word destroyed, then he adds  "by the mint"   :P

Gary_T
Don_D
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 02:47:33 am »

Hey, time and things must have changed while I was away.  Now ebay bashing is back in fashion. even Paul is enjoying it.

Login with username, password and session length