Author
Topic: Images of the new $100  (Read 8214 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: January 28, 2004, 01:17:10 pm »

Date on bank note: 2004

Signatures:
Left - P. Jenkins
Right - D.A. Dodge

Portrait: The $100 note portrait and watermark are of Sir Robert Laird Borden, Canada's prime minister from 1911 to 1920. Borden led the country during the First World War and successfully promoted Canadian interests during the treaty negotiations that followed it. In the realm of international affairs, Prime Minister Borden enhanced Canada's diplomatic reputation and status as a sovereign nation.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 01:19:49 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 01:19:14 pm »

Scene: Exploration and Innovation

The themes of exploration and innovation are illustrated with images of Canadian achievements in cartography and communications. A map of Canada created by Samuel de Champlain in 1632* is paired with a birchbark canoe. There is a satellite image of the country and depictions of Radarsat-1 (a satellite) and a telecommunications antenna. An excerpt from Miriam Waddington's poem, "Jacques Cartier in Toronto," and its French translation by Christine Klein-Lataud, summarizes humanity's eternal quest for discovery.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:37:52 pm »

I assume that the prefix JPH is a specimen.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:39:16 pm »

Completely logical assumption, as I see it.

Kelly

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 04:41:41 pm »

In my opinion the back of this note is just plain ugly.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 04:48:49 pm »

Ugly seems a little harsh, but that is your opinion.  I would have liked to see the map of Canada larger, but then again, I haven't seen an ACTUAL note yet, so......

Look forward to seeing one though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 05:02:58 pm by kellyb »

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 07:34:19 pm »

Some questions about the note's appearance.

1)  All the yellow-green lines and so forth--will those be actually VISIBLE on the reverse of the note (cutting through the number 100)?  Or is this jusy to show where hidden security items are located?

2) Next to Borden, we see part of the Parliament Buildings.  The microprint is too small to read on the computer.  Is it the East Block?

If I think of more questions, I will be sure to ask.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 08:26:27 pm »

Nice..............The notes look somewhat like the euros with the strip. The back is plain ugly though. And the security features aren't THAT advanced, didn't take em long to figure out how to do the holos on the euros and other currencies.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 08:29:04 pm »

Some questions about the note's appearance.

1)  All the yellow-green lines and so forth--will those be actually VISIBLE on the reverse of the note (cutting through the number 100)?  Or is this jusy to show where hidden security items are located?

2) Next to Borden, we see part of the Parliament Buildings.  The microprint is too small to read on the computer.  Is it the East Block?

If I think of more questions, I will be sure to ask.

It will show, the Taiwanese banknotes have indentical threads, it will show, just like an OSD.............but it will also blend in with the design.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 09:13:57 pm »

A glimpse I saw on the news showed a very low numbered BJY note, so I assume that's where this series will start, and with it, FINALLY the Jenkins signature.  As for the back, Iit's a nice design but it feels incomplete, or should have been made bigger.
What I love is the woven threads, it's about time we have that.

Marc :)
Nick
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 09:43:47 pm »

In my opinion the colour is just ugly... and the back design is way to small but the portrait on the note is stunning.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 10:07:51 pm »

Well I guess the back desing is that small to leave some space for the watermark.

As for the color, I think that desing (maps and satellite) would have been nicer with the purple of the $10.

canada-hongkong
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 10:57:55 pm »

I found the bank of canada site, had videos dealing with security features, and it showed the new 100. I saw the prefix BJY. You watch the videos at: http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/video_corp/dbo/index.htm You must pay close attention when they show the back of the note, when they tilt the thread.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 10:58:43 pm by canada-hongkong »

Login with username, password and session length