Author
Topic: The TRULY dissapearing Sawbucks! Post finds here!  (Read 10586 times)
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 10:57:08 pm »

so  these are not desirable
FEE,FEH,FEN,FEM,FEG,FEJ, FEK,FDW, BEJ, BEN, BES,BEM, FEL.  A lot of these are older then the BER.  Were they in short runs to make it so popular.

Polarbear
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 11:44:54 pm »

The BOC released the 2004's before the 2003's, and then as they started to release the 2003's, the good ol May 19th 2005 date came, and they could no longer be shipped out.  (Thus very few getting out).  That is why they are so tough to find!  (But not impossible!)

Lol thanks and your welcome, Scott :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 11:45:19 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 01:19:29 pm »

I concur with Hudson.... and you are lucky that Vancouver is so productive!

My experience in searching and finding original 10 Journeys:

2000 FDT - FDW Knight/Thiessen (on occassion) last summer (almost never now)

2001 FEA FEB FEC FED
I have found in quite a few when searching used bricks over the summer

2002 (Knight/Dodge) FEE, FEG, FEH, FEJ, FEK, FEL, FEM, BEK   (the most common signature) all represent majority of what was found, and are what continue to pop up very infrequently today.  These were released as late as 2004 (probably stock-piled).  And 2004 BES  

These bills are fairly common --only the missing circles, radars, or UNC sequentials worth keeping-- now in very rough shape as they don't hold up well to circulation.

2003 Jenkins/Dodge BEM, BEN on occassion (in the summer but rarely now). I suspect BEM was a short run.  The list says BEN is a full run but I find few these days.

2003 BEL (never found), BEK JD (rare- but very circulated and about 2 times in 6 searches), BEP (never here in Ontario)
BET (rare, but found in the summer)

Most 2003 in UNC should be keepers.

I have once or twice found a 2004 BER which was in such poor shape that I put it back (same with BEI)

So the most desirable?  any UNC FD_ Knight/Thiessen (the least common signature)- esp change-over FDZ (Knight/Dodge) or replacements (any condition)
2001 FEE (any condition)
2002 UNC (missing circles) and FEN (though they seem to be rather common on eBay)
BEI  replacements
2003 BER, BEL, BEK, BEP (any condition)
(note: I would consider these bills infinitely more collectable than the replacements of the above 2002 notes which seem so very common, and offered so often on eBay, in stores, and at shows)
2003 BEM (AU to UNC)
2004 BER/ BET (any condition. Again- these notes are just as important as any replacement)

In my humble opinion, all collectors should be securing examples of all of the above notes since the Journey series has performed so well in the market.  And so it should.  Its a revolutionary note (with its braille, its timely symbolism, its so-called security features that were so promptly forged by computer technology!).  It is a series with far more exciting "finds,"  annomalies if you compare it to its Birds predecessor.  The irregular way in which it was released (a few 2003 and 2004 BET being the last prefixes), the scarce yearly change-overs (FEE and BEK), and the signature yearly change-over insert (J/D BEK) as well as the mysterious 2003 BER which no one seems to be able to locate (but a lucky few).  And finally, the paper durability of these notes is of poorer quality than the Birds, making them wear out extremely fast.  This means that good (AU to UNC) examples of any note will be worth something, while just good examples of the super scarce 2003 BEL or BER are prime collectables.

James

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 09:06:08 pm »

Just inspected 1000 $10 Journey notes today and
ALL were new 2004  (issue of 2005) with very few BEY (2004) 3 BEY (2005) and 4 BEZ (2005)
Most notes were in poor condition (lots of tears, ink numbers, etc) on them.
I am beginning to think that the number of counterfeit were high in the GTA since the old Journeys seem to be so effectively culled.

However, did snag a keepable (VF) 2 digit radar BEU 8228228.  Other than that... a lot of work for small gains... :P

5150guy
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 04:36:22 am »

We were still getting brand new FEJ 2002's at my work up until February/March 2005. After that is was all BEN and BEM until the 2005 tens came out.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:37:37 am by 5150guy »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 09:33:13 pm »

If you are getting bricks of BEM than I would be searching for the BEK insert which has been discovered in those bricks.   I'd be searching those old tens for any kind of special or unique serial # and holding onto the best.  

Login with username, password and session length