Author
Topic: Anyone know why?  (Read 7477 times)
runningonempty
« on: September 20, 2005, 11:46:31 pm »

Why so many dealers/sellers/buyers are registered on ebay.com when they are Canadian.

I notice many Canadian sellers are registered on the U.S side while sellingin USD.This makes no sense to me,given the US dollar has fallen some 40% against the Cando in the last few years.

Why would you want to take less and less on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:31:29 am »

When I started ebay, the buck was ta about 62 cents, so it was great for me.  It seemed people would not always take into effect the full exchange rate when bidding, and sometimes I would get some nice prices. (yes secret strategy is out).  Plus the US is about 10 times as big as Canada. But then as the dollar started rising, I moved to ebay.ca so that i could have Cdn listed items instead, so I wouldn't lose on the weekly changes in exchange rate.

Now, in retrospect, I wish I would have done this alot earlier.  It is just more plain and simple when all in Canadian currency. I have found that 99% of the notes about went to Canada, (although coins were a different story).  The thing is, if you list on ebay.ca, your listing STILL shows up on ebay.com!!!
I wonder if everyone knows that fact.   If not, it should work for most everything.

But in general, ebay.com may bring in more people in general.  But it is basically all one and the same. I have been basically off ebay for a while due to other commitments such as University, but in the future, I still definitely prefer to use ebay.ca.  
plus, you dont have to lose on the buy sell spread on your fees either (which would be in US $ if you listed on ebay.com)

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:46:36 am »

This one has me grinning for sure.

So many mysteries to unravel  ;)

Would need a big, big sweetener to lay out analysis on this one for you; especially after giving my fingers a work out on the last one you started!

Smiles.

Troy

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 12:51:33 am by TheMonetaryMan »
runningonempty
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 01:39:01 am »

Thanks for your reply Hudson.

It would seem to make sense that one would want the exposure ebay.com brings.....but as you mentioned,exposure comes on the .ca site as well.So much for that conclusion :o

BUT-
I suspect there is more to it than that ;D ;).

Your other point about the dollar being much lower in times past is noted,but as you stated,in not so many words,times have changed.

C'mon dealers/sellers,why do you register on ebay.com and sell in US dollars,yet you are Canadian residents? You are continually loosing via the exchange on an almost daily basis.
???
runningonempty
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 01:49:06 am »

This one has me grinning for sure.

So many mysteries to unravel  

Would need a big, big sweetener to lay out analysis on this one for you; especially after giving my fingers a work out on the last one you started!

Troy,
What can I say,always wanted to have the Canadian franchise to the old "Unsolved Mysteries" tv series. :D

This one has me grinning for sure

I was born on a week night but not last night ;)
Can't wait to see the "biggies" tackle this one ;D

I fully expected a comment from you.
Your abstention from this conversation will not be condoned! ;D ;)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:49:58 am by runningonempty »
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:26:59 am »

Ok look you,

I have to get some work done too!

Way behind in a couple of projects I am  :o

Let me avoid writing a book this time here and let's try a different approach.

Let's start with why you believe currency conversion is an issue when:

1) you can change your billing currency from US to CDN on eBay.com

2) Even if you leave billing in USD you can pay it from a USD balance in a Paypal account or say a USD RBC Centura acct.

3) What other ways do you believe USA registered CDN seller is losing on currency conversion.

4) per 1 million CDN in annual eBay CDN paper money sales how much do you currently believe is being bought buy non Canadians? Hint, it is astonishingly higher than 1% and growing.

I would like to take this one at a slower pace as I have invested way too much time on this forum as of late, and no one to blame but me.

Troy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 10:27:41 am by TheMonetaryMan »
runningonempty
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:54:02 pm »

Seems like a real lack of interest in this one? ;)

Good for the soul you know!

Troy:

Nope ;D,aint heading in that direction.That's not where I want this to go,but you knew that you rascally rascal ::).

Still interested in hearing from some of the larger dealers/sellers here that deal in strictly Canadian Paper Money.

Login with username, password and session length