Author
Topic: 100$ Lasting Impressions...?  (Read 9448 times)
Kinghaku
« on: January 24, 2004, 08:26:32 pm »

Who here thinks (or knows) if the BoC will issue a 100$ lasting impressions set for the birds/journey series. If they do who among you would buy it? Seeing as the 5 and 10 series have been out for a while and are still avaliable at their original price, would it even be worth it for anybody to buy it??....

Hmmmmmmm and at what price would they sell it for I wonder?

Time will tell
Ray
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 08:27:51 pm by Kinghaku »
spanking_the_money
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 08:47:47 pm »

I look at special sets the same way I look at Mint Products... nice idea, but not a good investment.  Most Mint products go down in value over time.  Buy old money... it mostly goes up in value over time  ;)

SM
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 08:50:43 pm »

I strongly doubt that a 100$ lasting impressions set will be issued. Just that the denomination is just too high and not enough people would buy it. If there ends up being one, it wouldn't be a good investment as demand would likely be quite low resulting in a very stable value.  
Steve11
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 03:06:27 am »

They will be issued....and they will be issued at 229.95 Cdn .. my guess :D
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 05:22:11 pm »

My guess is that it will be closer to $250 for the set and I'll probably get one.
Not for investment purpose obviously, but like BWJM said I think it  8) that the BoC offer some collective item once in a while.

JohnnyG4
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 09:13:10 am »

If memory serves...

If you take a look at the previous "Lasting Impressions", it was $30 for the packaging + the value of the notes.

So maybe $230?

I hope they do it, although 50000 units might be a little high. 15000 units?

John  
paul_in_north_bay
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 10:07:25 am »

I hope they do put a set out. I would pay no more then $240.00 for it however. A low printing would be nice as well, say 10,000 sets.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 01:18:40 am »

I have the $5 and $10 sets, I bought from a coin dealer for $75 flat for both. I'd like the $100 set, if its $230 its not too bad. I also seen the uncut sheets of $10 and $5 bills, they are around $450 and $250 last time I checked. I really doubt $100 sheets will be popular, but if they were issued in blocks/strips of 4 or 2 I would buy them. But the $100 set will be less popular, as it is a generous sum of money, there is a chance they might not even issue it.
Kinghaku
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 12:20:28 am »

Well I know for a fact if you visit the BoC museum in Ottawa during regular buisness hours you can get your hands on sheets of anything you want.  I was there in December and a guy from the states bought a sheet of journey 5s.  I asked the girl at the counter about it and she says they always keep a few sheets of every denomination in circulation in a vault somewhere in the BoC in case anybody wants to buy them.  Of course there is a premium attached, I think the guy paid 250$ for his sheet of 5s, but if you are in Ottawa before the 17th of March and go to the museum chances are you might be able to get your hands on a sheet of bird C-Notes before they dissapear.

As for the lasting impressions 100$ I'd buy a set deffinatly, I assume from the overstock of 5 and 10 sets they still have that if they do issue a 100$ set they would release a very small number like 1000 or something like that.

King
canada-hongkong
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 09:19:05 pm »

Well I know for a fact if you visit the BoC museum in Ottawa during regular buisness hours you can get your hands on sheets of anything you want.  I was there in December and a guy from the states bought a sheet of journey 5s.  I asked the girl at the counter about it and she says they always keep a few sheets of every denomination in circulation in a vault somewhere in the BoC in case anybody wants to buy them.  Of course there is a premium attached, I think the guy paid 250$ for his sheet of 5s, but if you are in Ottawa before the 17th of March and go to the museum chances are you might be able to get your hands on a sheet of bird C-Notes before they dissapear.

As for the lasting impressions 100$ I'd buy a set deffinatly, I assume from the overstock of 5 and 10 sets they still have that if they do issue a 100$ set they would release a very small number like 1000 or something like that.

King

Nice......................, the museum, would they have sheets of 20s and the new 10s? :)
Kinghaku
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 10:25:56 pm »

I would only guess that they do, like I said the guy from the states got a sheet of journey fives and they said they stock everything in a vault in the BoC (where the museum is) You can always call to find out...

King
hockey99man
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 06:02:42 am »

After sending the following request about the new $100 notes to the BoC...

Can you tell me if these notes will be sold in similar fashion as the $5 and $10 notes were.  Example, matched sets, uncut sheets?

And this was their response...

The Bank of Canada is currently evaluating its numismatic product offerings and has yet to make a decision.  I would advise you to contact us again in a month by email or through our toll free number for an update on this program.

So I guess its still a bit of a guessing game...

Gord
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 02:11:25 pm »

Well I know for a fact if you visit the BoC museum in Ottawa during regular buisness hours you can get your hands on sheets of anything you want.

Anyone know how long that has been the case?  If that's true, I'd be extremely hesitant to buy any sort of "cutting error" on ANY Bank of Canada note.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
harold
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 11:07:15 pm »

I'm fairly certain that the Bank of Canada is only selling Bird Series sheets of $5's and $10's right now.

The Bank would be breaking the law by issuing sheets of $1's and $2's.  That is why the Bank did not include the discontinued denominations in those matching serial number sets that they auctioned off a few years back.  (Specimens are a different story...)

Also, if $20, $50, $100 sheets of Bird Series notes were being sold, wouldn't it be wise for the Bank to alert collectors (customers)?  I'm sure CPMS would have been informed.

I suspect we will see sheets of Bird $20's when the Journey notes are introduced.

Sheets of $50's and $100's are another story, in my opinion.   :-/

Harold
hockey99man
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 01:37:40 am »

Now that is an excellent point made by Seth about cutting errors!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 01:39:02 am by hockey99man »

Login with username, password and session length