Author
Topic: $10 Counterfeit with photos  (Read 5846 times)
emsteph
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:19:55 pm »

Hi all

Received a note today from the Shoppers in Dorchester On.

Immediately the paper did not feel right. The edges are frayed. And the fonts are different from other similar notes. Although, from researching this wonderful web site, the series "FEK" seems legit. Some of the gold leaves appear to be missing.

I've had someone at the Future Shop look under their scanner and she feels there is a good chance it is a fake as the gold leaves were quite blurred under the ultraviolet light. I will ask other merchants their opinions. I'm afraid to take it to a bank as they may keep it (don't mind having one as an example).

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. Would love to have confirmation either way.

Thanks.
Jeffrey
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:33:30 pm »

As you stated, the font differs, definitely a counterfeit.  Can you read the microprint?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 07:38:37 pm »

I can also see the characteristic doubled-up front position numbers, so right off the bat I'd say it's a fake.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:34:47 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:53:18 pm »

Definitely a fake.  It's very hard to see, but BWJM is right, there do appear to be two front position numbers at the bottom lefthand corner of the front.

You can tell by the 9 and 6 in the serial number that the fonts are off too.

Otherwise this is an impressive-looking counterfeit...the colours are right and the ink doesn't appear to have run or smudged through the note being handled.

sid-63: you said the paper doesn't feel right - what about the intaglio printing?  Was it present?  Did the counterfeiters take the trouble to imitate the braille dots?

Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:11:53 am »

If you look at the serial number, you can see that this is a fake since the style of the letters and numbers are different from a regular BOC note.

Philippe
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 01:11:54 am »

Nice find.
To repeat Brent, Doubled Front position Numbers are apparant, and of course the Prefix is legit, but the font is non-BOC.  They always mess that one up.

Try scratching some of the color out of the intaglio- by dragging it with your finger dug in from the other side. Does it leave a streak of color?   The fakes I have seen have left no color. (No intaglio then).

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
emsteph
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 11:51:02 am »

what about the intaglio printing?  Was it present?  Did the counterfeiters take the trouble to imitate the braille dots?

The intaglio printing is not present. The braille dots are not raised, but do seem to be slightly visible.

The microprinting apparently was not a feature of the early $10 according to the BOC web site.

The "hidden 10" on the left side that appears when tilted is not present.

When viewed under a magnifier, the colours, words, etc are far from crisp. It seems as though there was some "bleeding" either during the process of making the note or during its circulation.

I'm still amazed as to how well they can copy these notes, and yet still screw up on the serial number's font.  ???

Does anyone know of a web site that tracks the serial numbers of counterfeit bills?
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 11:56:33 am »

You could also check it with an ultra-violet light for the security square on the back right.
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 08:04:27 pm »

Hi:

Microprinting has been a feature since the birds series.  Maybe it wasn't easily accessable, but its here.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/counterfeit/security_features.html

John

Paper Money is Art!
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 02:14:11 am »

I'm afraid to take it to a bank as they may keep it
Even though banks love to jip you out of your money, that would be stealing.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.

Login with username, password and session length