Author
Topic: $10 note 2005, is this a rare error?  (Read 10254 times)
andre00k7
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:29:30 pm »

Hi, does anybody can help me with this note.
I have 2 notes with both consecutive serial number. One has no error and the other without face and text at the bottom of face.
Does it have any value?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 05:48:13 pm »

I am skeptical about this.  The portrait part of the note is printed with intaglio ink.  Usually when the intaglio is missing, it is because the whole sheet missed the intaglio stage, and all the intaglio on the whole note (and sheet) is missing.  However, on this note, all of the intaglio is present except for the portrait.  It looks like somebody used a chemical or solvent to remove the portrait but left the rest.  IIRC there was a Journey $100 like this on eBay a few months back that sold for well above face value.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
andre00k7
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:06:14 pm »

Thanks for the infos. The serial # of the error note is FEP57811958 and the other is FEP57811959. I have other pictures of the note, some very good close-up.
If anybody wants it, let me know.
André
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:37:55 pm »

I would be interested, mostly for analysis though.  
Isn't the "10" on the right supposed to be missing if the intaglio part was missed?  
I agree with the chemical interference.

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 09:51:33 pm »

I've seen scans of nearly identical notes, both $5, $10 and $100 where the portrait or nearly the entire portrait is missing, but all other intaglio is present. The only true 100% ghost notes are the original $10s that Tom really likes.

I expect that these are legitimate errors, although I have yet to view one first-hand.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
emsteph
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 11:14:15 pm »

Is it me, or are there too many numbers in the serial numbers?
andre00k7
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 11:40:13 pm »

You are correct, these are the good serial #.
See picture.
andre00k7
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 11:42:04 pm »

Here is a closer look.
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 12:28:18 am »

I think chemical interference. Just the potrait is missing, but none of the intaglio on the left or right. Also, the "CANADA" and DIX, TEN are a bit faded, impossible, wither it's missing, I guess.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 12:56:27 am »

Look at the RH side of the coat-of-arms, just to the right of the holographic strip.  It looks like somebody tried to wipe around it, but smudged it instead.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
andre00k7
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 01:16:03 am »

Ask me for high resolution picture if you want.
I have some good one.
emsteph
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 08:03:07 pm »

If chemicals were used, would the note not smell of such?

I suggest taking it to a dealer in your area to confirm your suspicions of chemical use. There seems to be some doubt about its authenticity here. I also suggest you take it to a coin show to get a good concensous from many experts.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 01:24:06 am »

Hi andre00k7

You had sent you an email before but I will reply to it here.  Sorry to take so long to reply, but my real job is interfering with my hobbies.  Your note can be thought to be chemically altered but perhaps not.  I have a $100 note with a similar error, however on mine there are still signs of early printing, showing some details in the portrait, hence if a chemical was used, this would be erased or at least blurred.   Your note shows no sign of any printing in the portrait area so many would question if a chemical was used.  The only way to tell for sure would be to send it to either myself or a dealer who would be knowledgeable with chemical altering.  Any other questions feel free to email me.  papermoney@sympatico.ca

Tom
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:30:15 am by Tom »

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 02:57:06 am »

Tom, what is that brown line running from top to bottom on your note? It almost looks like your note has been chemically altered then dipped to clean off other chemicals. Im not implying that it has, just making an observation. Maybe I watch too much C.S.I.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 04:02:51 am by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 04:28:52 am »

The line looks like is a highliter pen or such. Perhaps a way of marking sheets or notes to be picked out during the production, but what ever happened it didn't get plucked out.  The note is a nice unc note with all of the original embossing and no smell.

Tom

Login with username, password and session length