Author
Topic: $20 Journey Series - Serial Number Misprint  (Read 5849 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:02:04 am »

I found this little uncirculated $20 orphan while searching through some notes.  Still quite miffed as to how this serial number could be printed.  

As you can see from the scan below, the first set of serial numbers are normal.  As for the second set, you can see that the '0' has been shifted up from the fixed alignment of the serial numbers.  

Now, with most serial number errors that you would encounter, most occur when the numbering device did no rotate completely to the next number or became stuck partially rotated, such as a half of a zero, etc.  However, with this particular error, the full zero is printed very clearly and out of the straight alignment.  

I am still unsure how this could occur, especially when the '0' is a fully printed.

Any thoughts?  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 01:04:37 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 01:54:31 am »

I would bet that the numbering stamp is not in a circle shape, kind of like the stamps they put in library books with the due date, they are on an oval shape.  So it may have been carried over a bit.  It appear as though the top of the zero is lighter- or less imprinted - than at the bottom.

What I think is that the stamp was partially rotated, but the impact of the stamp punch was enough to depress the number in full.  Heavier at the bottom, but lighter at the top.

This is just a guess.  I am thinking about Bankerblair's error $20s when I respond to this.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 04:08:54 am »

You are such a copycat Kobecurrency.  Nice find though.  ;D Congrats.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:32:42 am »

Picked up today another example of misprint as mentioned above.  Included also is a normal note in the similar range without the misprint on the right set of serial number.  

{http://members.shaw.ca/ekong/kobecurrency/ALG%20-%20SN%20misprint%20error.jpg}
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:04:37 am by kobecurrency »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:55:34 am »

How much does anyone want to be they have the same back position number?? ;)
(The errors that is)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:56:04 am by hudsonab »

kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 05:10:41 am »

The two notes that I listed above, one normal & the other with SN misprint, have BP 83 & FP 71.

Not sure if the Position No. has anything to do with with the SN printing?  However, the SN printing has to be the final step of the printing process.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 12:57:35 pm »

I was just thinking that perhaps the serial number stamp had a loose turning device (or something like that), so that it could be possible that more notes under that position could have been stamped this way.

Hudson

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 08:58:16 pm »

Yes, the numbering machines are called "tumblers". This one clearly didn't make it into it's next position all the way. It's possible "782", "783" are misplaced too, but more likely the next impact  forced the tumber into position.

A wonderful find!

Login with username, password and session length