Author
Topic: Is it fake or not???  (Read 4607 times)
Canada_Power
« on: October 25, 2005, 02:37:09 am »

Hi, I had a friend who bought a 1$ (1954~devil face) & 1$ and 10$ , both dated from 1937~Canada at ebay about a week ago. I don't know about the signature,prefix, or serial number...I just remember that it was all 3 in Very Good condition.
The problem with these 3 notes are that when he put it in a "counterfeit currency detertor", it doesn't show the "glowing dots" like it should be! But he do see that the dots are there but it just doesn't glow under the ultraviolet light bulb of the machine.
Does that means that the notes are fake? or is it just because it is too old or dirty that's why it doesn't glow under the machine??
Does anyone have this kind of problems too?? I mean for the 1937 notes??, is it because the 1937's notes are not detectable by the machine?
I remember touching and feeling all 3 notes and it does seem real. I suspence that they are Highly Good copies (Counterfeit) of the notes, but I don't want to tell this to my friend yet, I would like to hear about any experts in this forum before making any conclusion.

Is there any other way to check if the 3 notes are real??

Thanks
5150guy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 02:56:20 am »

I wouldn't put too much stock in those UV light "Counterfeit Detectors" . ::)
My 1954 notes don't have as many planchettes as later series. Planchettes are also less noticable when the notes are somewhat circulated.
I highly doubt that your friend's notes aren't genuine.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:23:51 am »

He should see the paper glow white or purple I think if they are fake???

Tom
Canada_Power
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 03:35:19 pm »

Thanks for the help, but he wants to know is there any other way to check if the 3 notes are real??
Is there any way to check for the 1937's notes? and the 1954 devil's face??
Let's say if he didn't had the machine to check counterfeit notes! How is he suppose to check that it is real??

Thanks again for the help.
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 03:40:39 pm »

You can check the microprinting, to see if its real, or show us a scan of the bills, and im sure someone will be able to answer your question.

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Bob
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 05:27:16 pm »

Check the eyes in the portrait of the King or Queen and compare with a known genuine note.  Counterfeits of the 1937 and 1954 issues don't show up all that much, but in the few I've seen they couldn't get the eyes right.
Also if you can pick out a planchette that is close to the surface (it will spoil the note to some extent), it is on genuine paper.  Counterfeits of these issues, if they had planchettes at all, only had them printed on, rather than embedded in the paper.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
emsteph
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:35:26 pm »

Bob is right. The planchettes are meant to be picked off. I'm not really sure if they are meant to glow under the ultraviolet light...although I could be wrong.

Take them to a dealer...I'm sure you will quickly find your answer.

Login with username, password and session length