Author
Topic: Board upgrade  (Read 8527 times)
admin
  • Administrator
« on: November 04, 2005, 11:10:44 am »

Late last night we had another "incident"  :-[

I haven't taken the time to complete track down the culprit, but I could see how the attack was done and the easiest, fastest fix for the problem was to move to the newest version of the forum software, YaBB 2.0. [highlight]Now running version 2.1[/highlight]

I've been running this version for some time now and had not gone live with it because of a few issues:
  • I can't get the system clock to work correctly. This seems to be a server issue, the tool the software uses to deal with time is not on the server.
  • The calendar is missing. This was being moved to the new main site at http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cpm/
  • Highs and Lows system is being replaced, but is not ready yet. I'm hoping for this weekend. It too will run from the new main site at http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cpm/ and finally ties us into www.cdn-money.com.
  • your new "wish list" is also being developed on the new site http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cpm/. You and add data, I just don't have the reporting working yet. Anyone good with SQL?
  • I have not figure out how to get the "most recent posts" thing working yet. Ok, it's working, but it's not very good. I'll keep looking into this one.
Sorry for the rushed, slammed dunk conversion, and you're exposed to all the gazillion hours of research and development to move the site forward without the benefit of a completely polished product. Sorry for the lose ends, I'll try to get it fixed by the end of the weekend.

The good news is that there are a TON more new features (I personally like that you can collapse whole sections that you don't normally visit). The bad news is that it takes a bit of getting used to.

[highlight]Update:[/highlight] Seems the server is set correctly. The time issue is caused because I did not have to old board setup correctly. Everyone needs to go to their "Profile" (top menu option) and change your setting for your time zone. On the old board, I had the default set to GMT 0 so that's what everyone got. Then I forced it to EST -5. Now that it's working, everyone has to go back and change their time setting.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 02:21:14 pm by admin »
paul_in_north_bay
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 12:29:18 pm »

Looks good Paul.  For me it will take alot of getting used to :-[
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 08:15:48 pm »

Please post any bugs you find here!

• Clicking CPM YaBB 2 Forum from the main website loads the forum inside of a frame on the right. This should open in the full browser. On smaller resolutions, this can really cramp the screen.
  • On narrow windows, the news ticker text at the top causes the forum to shift down between news items when it jumps from 2 to 3 lines of text.
  • Searching causes an error because English/Search_IP.lng cannot be found. Suspected improperly installed add-on.
  • Main page: SNWL doesn't work.
  • News Feeds: pointless?
  • Integrated forum: Can we remove it?
  • What's with the Colonial Acres banner? Are they sponsoring us now? Do we get free golf shirts?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:06:06 pm »

Remember, this was a rush job and the new main site is not even close to being finished.

• Clicking CPM YaBB 2 Forum from the main website loads the forum inside of a frame on the right. This should open in the full browser. On smaller resolutions, this can really cramp the screen..
  • On narrow windows, the news ticker text at the top causes the forum to shift down between news items when it jumps from 2 to 3 lines of text.?
  • Integrated forum: Can we remove it?
Yup, I know about these, but here's the rub: the entire new site is a CMS. I am trying to get it to where we log in to it, and the forum is fully integrated. Logging into the main page gives us a ton more new things we can do for members vs non-members. Unfortunately, Joomla (the CMS) and YaBB (our forum software), do not play nicely together (actually, the problem is YaBB). I have been testing out systems to see feature sets, integration, and conversion options. I really like the one shown, but have not found a conversion solution. I could go phpBB, but it seems to have even more security issues than YaBB. I'm sure nobody wants us starting all over again. Part of not moving to YaBB2 earlier was because I was going to drop YaBB all together.

• Searching causes an error because English/Search_IP.lng cannot be found. Suspected improperly installed add-on.
Yes, I missed a file. Should be fixed now (but only GM's and Admins can do it anyway).

• Main page: SNWL doesn't work.
Actually, it does. Currently, it feeds your entry into an SQL database. The record is there, I can see it, I just haven't gotten around to mastering the SQL query to display it or to search the db online. Considering I only started this project last week when the first post showed up, I figure I'm doing OK getting the SQL db running and an entry form for it (since I've never used mySQL before).

• News Feeds: pointless
You surprize me. RSS News readers are very popular with your university aged group. Using a news reader, you can link to all sorts of your favourite sites and have the newest posts automatically loaded into your reader or right onto your desktop. If you are into several things, it bring all the news to you instead of you having to go the news. It's the wave of the future coming right at you. Besides, I'm still playing with it to understand it better. It's a single button to turn it off.

• What's with the Colonial Acres banner? Are they sponsoring us now? Do we get free golf shirts?
Again, it was a prototyping system. I needed to test out the "banner ad" function, hence you'll notice the "Open Source Matters" is also there. Yes, I've been considering running banner ads to help pay for this. The last round of donations have been used to purchase a few modules and books, and pay for the expanding needs of the systems, hard drives still not free. You did just give me the idea of "Canadian Paper Money" golf shirts though... I like the idea, though I've been thinking of moving our logo to the Journey series...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:56:28 pm by admin »
RickFromTheCrik
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 12:20:46 am »

Nice colour on your "new" and improved site. I don't know what the problem was or is, but since you changed, despite my best efforts to log in, I failed 6 times, with 3 new passwords that didn't work.
I even emailed one of the moderators for assistance, but he couldn't help.

I, therefore had to choose a new name, RickFromTheCrik. Hope you get all the log in bugs squished soon.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 01:05:19 am »

If you let me know who you are (were, I suppose), I can try to help you log in as your original account.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
RickFromTheCrik
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 08:42:36 am »

Brent, I am Rick Simpson, was using the handle rscoins.
Repeated passwords don't work.

RickFromTheCrik

JWS
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 11:55:16 am »

Yes, the jumping page is a real pain. As Brent pointed out, limiting the cycling "Ticker Information" to two lines would eliminate the problem.

Brent, "Freedomschoice" asked me to let you know that he can't log onto the new site and needs help.

Thank you Paul, for a great site!

JWS
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 07:02:01 pm »

Brent, I am Rick Simpson, was using the handle rscoins.
Repeated passwords don't work.

RickFromTheCrik

Rick, I've sent you an email.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 07:17:27 pm »

Yes, the jumping page is a real pain. As Brent pointed out, limiting the cycling "Ticker Information" to two lines would eliminate the problem.

Brent, "Freedomschoice" asked me to let you know that he can't log onto the new site and needs help.

Thank you Paul, for a great site!

JWS
I see the Marvin was able to login tonight. If he continues to have problems, please ask him to email me. Thanks.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 07:22:54 pm »

Thanks to Brent, I managed to get back on the site. My tempory handle has no need to exist (RickFromTheCrik) any longer.

Rick
 ::)
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 08:40:25 pm »

Sorry Brent, I got them both. Had to reset their passwords.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 08:56:26 pm »

Both of them seem to be online now, so it looks like things are working.

If anyone else is having any problems logging into the forums, email me at bwjm@cdnpapermoney.com and I will try to get you up and running again.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length