Author
Topic: New to site; website problems  (Read 5979 times)
Larry_G
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:02:07 pm »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site. I am from the Southern California area and find banknotes and coins fascinating. Recently, I came across this website, however I have had trouble viewing it from my location and am wondering if anybody else has had the same issues. At first I was just getting a 403 notice, and couldn't access anything, except the board, and even with the board, no graphics, and therefore I couldn't register until now.

I can access the website now, but the photos of the banknotes themselves are unavailable. (???). But other website graphics are. I came across this website in the firstplace, because I have seen a notice that the Bank of Canada is restricting images of the banknotes post-1935 apparently. Is this the case with this website. Is there some limitation about visitors from outside of Canada or some other kind of anamoly. I even tried to e-mail the admin about this, but that letter came back "no such user". Very strange.

At any rate, as I've said, I find currency collecting most fascinating, though I only have a miniscule collection myself, including some old South Vietnamese currency, some South Korean won, a 1000 lire Italian note, various Canadian, Hong Kong, British, Irish, and Mexican coins, and two $2 Canadian 1986 series notes, which I note have since been discontinued (?).  In addition to American, of course.

I have always been curious to see the legendary $20 Lake Louise note, which I assume predates the 1986 series? I also understand there has been a recent redesign. I acquired my $2 notes in 1993 in Vancouver. As I said, I'm pretty much a novice, but find it fascinating.

Thanks for any answers to my questions. I come across Canadian coins all the time in this area from winter visitors, though the notes are somewhat rarer. I also find it fascinating that the monarch has appeared on Canadian notes before her effigy appeared on UK notes. An interesting world it is.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 07:12:24 pm »

I will wait for Paul Wallis to comment on what I am not familiar with.

The 403 error started about Nov. 18, and the reason for it is unknown to me. I understand that the server or something had to be changed due to interference of the web site. I was cut off for several days, as were others who often frequent the site. The problem appears to be corrected.

When there is a problem, it is nearly impossible to communicate with the webmaster, as his emails go through the site. Any I have sent are always returned as well. He does not list any other email address, but I know a couple of the administrators, and can communicate through them if need be.

Rick
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:22:49 pm »

Well, here's a bit of the story...

I have slowly (very slowly) been transitioning from the "old" site www.CdnPaperMoney.com, to the "new" site www.CdnPaperMoney.com/cpm. The old site has restrictions on copying the images as requested by the RCMP. The new site doesn't have all the images running as I have not found a suitable way to similarly restrict access to the images (and I'm not interested in spending more time talking to the BoC and RCMP. For that matter, I suspect my CSIS file is big enough).

Sorry about that, but them's the rules.

As for the 403 error on the forum... we have a pest who keeps trying to break into the system and mess things up. Normally, he just leaves a little note for me somewhere, but one of these days he could be a real problem. We recently "crash upgraded" to this version of the software after he found a way into in the older version. Part of the upgrade was new tools for me to try to block him, but I didn't really understand them very well. I turned on a method of blocking attacks that was too aggressive and it ended up blocking just about everyone. (Hey, I got read of the problem...) That's been fixed now.

And yes, if you're restricted from the server, my admin@CdnPaperMoney.com and pwallis@CdnPaperMoney.com emails stop working, but pwallis@yesvideo.ca, paul.wallis@phochron.com (my two businesses) and paul.wallis@rogers.com should all still work. In fact, you can try most of them with MSN Messenger, and Yahoo IM and eventually you can get me there too.

Larry_G
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 03:43:33 pm »

Thanks Paul for the response. Much appreciated. Well, although I'm not getting the 403 error on the site now, when I go to look at the currency portion of the old site, I just get a bunch of red x's where the photographs should be. It's just strange. Anyway, I think the new notes are really beautiful. I'll have to order some.

Which is the best way, BTW, for ordering new notes from outside of Canada? Would ordering currency via a money exchange outfit be best or from a paper money dealer?

Apologies BTW, for misidentifying the 1970's era $20 note. It is not Lake Louise as many most undoubtedly know by now. It is in fact lake Moraine. Just wanted to post that to clarify my mistake.

Larry

Login with username, password and session length