Author
Topic: Serial Number Confusion on early French banknotes  (Read 5695 times)
see323
« on: December 12, 2005, 11:30:04 am »

Hi

I was wondering whether someone can help to explain on the prefix, serial number on early French or French colonial banknotes ( those with colourful arty design ). I am confused as there are three areas of numbers on the note. The notes with two corner having V67 (example)  and another two corner with 67443 (example). There is a much longer set of serial number which contain some numbers from the corners. In that case, how do we consider French or French colonial banknotes having solid serial number. Is it possible to have solid number on French banknotes. Maybe someone can help to explain on that.  

Thanks

WINS#665

Singapore Numismatics Association (SNA) Life Membership L-161
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 03:49:05 pm »

Hi- are these noets in the Charlton Cat for Cdn money? I didn't really know where to look for info. What years are we talking about?

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 04:48:22 pm »

I think he means Banque du France notes such as the one pictured below:
{http://currency.bwjm.ca/images/Foreign/France_20_Front.jpg}
One will notice the complete serial number at the top: 1353094686
And two others: 094686 and D.055

I saw somewhere a while ago that the bottom two numbers combine in some fashion to form the complete number, but I can't remember how.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 04:49:27 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 11:39:23 pm »

I bet it has to do with modular arithmatic and coding. I learned about this in Math last year.  Kind of like a "Check digit" on a cheq - there is method to its numbering.  I forget what type of coding this is.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
see323
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 01:21:09 am »

That's right, that is one of those French notes that I was referring to. Thank you for providing better and further explanation with a scan of a french note. In fact, earlier, I was not very sure whether to purchase a particular french colonial banknote as it seem to fix the requirement of a  solid number 555. I asked the French seller. He did not know what is the meaning of solid number banknote. Finally, after a few rounds of email exchanges, I am happy to confirm that it is a solid number 555 banknote. By itself, without the solid number, it is a scarce note and they only uses 3 digits serial number. It is a small French colony in Africa. I'm not sure whether it is still a colony of France. I believe it is a Muslim country since it is relatively near to Egypt and the other countires in the Middle East. Here is the note.

WINS#665

JoeF
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 02:30:51 pm »

Hi Emperor Fives,

Your note is from the country of Djibouti, formerly known as The French Territory of the Afars and the Issas (as shown on the note).   The country is located in eastern Africa, bordering the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea, between Eritrea and Somalia.

This and other notes from this country can be viewed at this site:

www.banknotes.com/dj.htm

see323
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 06:10:22 am »

Thank you JoeF.

Wow! This small country is only less than half a million in population. 50% unemployment rate. I wonder how is this country being managed. I think the people are suffering especially with 50% poverty line. But glad to have this scarce solid 555 note part of my world collection.

Derrick

WINS#665

Login with username, password and session length