Author
Topic: Whats behind the Charlton pricing????  (Read 3920 times)
slip_stream13
« on: January 22, 2006, 01:48:57 am »

I`ve been collecting for almost a year now and I read and study about paper money a great deal. Theres just some things I don`t understand when it comes to the value on certain banknotes. The one that bothers me the most is the 1954 $5 Modified. The book value on these notes is $35. However, the multicolored $5`s are priced at $60, $50, $40, and $35. I`d much rather 1954 issues all day long because I think there nicer and older. The 1954 $2 also bugs me. They used to book at $12 and have just been (DEVALUED) in the new Charlton Cat to $10. The multi-colored issues are valued at $16, $14, and $12.

Also I`d like to see the 1937 issues have a little more value. Yeah the Charlton "Bible" wants us all to believe the $2`s and $5`s are $200 but try to buy an original UNC from a dealer......your looking at $230-$250+taxes. Oh, and the poor 1937 $10.....can we possibly make these $10`s feel anymore worthless???? $125???? 1969 $20 = $140.00, 1954 $20=$120. I can go on and on....I`m sure I`m not the only collector that feels this way....I know, I have talked to lots......would like to hear someone elses comments.
Dwayne in B.C.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:57:04 am »

One reason for the difference in 54 verses multicolour 5s is not so much about quantity printed but of condition. The perception of UNC multicolour is a perfect note with nice embossing, perfectly square corners, no marks in the paper and bright colour. These really nice notes are tough to find. The perception of a 54 UNC is quite different. One expects to find wavy edges and possibly a counting crease. In fact some collectors would prefer wavy edges as a sign of originality. Problem is that wavy edges can hide other problems like small marks in the paper or even an extra border crease. Because collectors expect to find problems with 54s qualifies a greater percentage as UNC and thus are more available.

Wish I had more time this morning,
Just my humble opinion.
Gary
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:28:18 am by sudzee »

Login with username, password and session length