Author
Topic: An Awesome $20 Bird Series Error  (Read 5615 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:28:51 am »

This is an interesting error.  I wonder how this would have gotten through the quality control process, let alone, how in the world could this note have been printed?  :P  

A beautiful and dramatic note to say the least.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 01:29:12 am »

Back side.

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:47:43 am »

OH MY GOD!!! I WANT IT. That cant be real.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:49:07 am by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 02:16:05 am »

It has to be real since the Bank of Canada never released $20 sheets to the public.  Therefore, it cannot be a fake error cut.  As well, the colour bar codes for quality control also shows on this error note.  

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 04:01:26 am »

Too bad it's not mine.   :-[

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 04:24:02 am »

Nice score!!!

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 08:34:13 am »

It has to be real since the Bank of Canada never released $20 sheets to the public.  Therefore, it cannot be a fake error cut.

Not true, according to this old post (January 2004) by Kinghaku:

Well I know for a fact if you visit the BoC museum in Ottawa during regular buisness hours you can get your hands on sheets of anything you want.  I was there in December and a guy from the states bought a sheet of journey 5s.  I asked the girl at the counter about it and she says they always keep a few sheets of every denomination in circulation in a vault somewhere in the BoC in case anybody wants to buy them.  Of course there is a premium attached, I think the guy paid 250$ for his sheet of 5s, but if you are in Ottawa before the 17th of March and go to the museum chances are you might be able to get your hands on a sheet of bird C-Notes before they dissapear.

Since reading that, I have been extremely hesitant to accept any kind of cutting error on any modern Bank of Canada note as genuine.

As for the colour bar though, yes I agree that that would indicate that the error is very likely genuine, because I wouldn't expect the colour bar to be showing on any uncut sheets available to the public.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:24:44 pm »

I did not want to comment on this note because it was on ebay and I was planning to win this note but it has ended early so I guess someone purchased it outside of ebay, probably a forum member.

The note next to this one is found on Brent's online money museum and here is the link              http://moneymuseum.bwjm.ca/errors_birds20miscut.asp  

The same # can be seen on each note.

I do not believe that you can purchase any sheet you want.Not even a little bit.

Gary_T
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 10:06:15 pm »

I do not believe that you can purchase any sheet you want.Not even a little bit.

Careful what you say here... Last time I said I didn't believe something (or rather that I would have to see it to believe it), a fellow moderator passed on a message that several long-standing forum members had emailed and telephoned him saying they were quite ticked off because I apparently personally attacked someone's credibility. :-[ :-X :-/

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 11:10:49 pm »

I reported in this forun an exactly alike note (on the "a spectacular cutting error" thread). This note is exactly the neighbour of my friend's note he bought at the beginning of 2005 from our local dealer.  Here a photomontage of my friend's note (on the LH side)  and the two fragments reported here. The fit is perfect. :)

Where did you find this note?

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 06:36:48 pm »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)Hahaha I now own the lager part of the note and its for sale  : :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) bkkershaw@sympatico.ca

CPMS Member 1564

Login with username, password and session length