Author
Topic: Lunchbox full of minty-fresh coins  (Read 3930 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 14, 2006, 05:10:37 pm »

CANBERRA (Reuters) - An Australian man has been charged with stealing more than A$6,000 ($4,400) from the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra by hiding new A$2 coins in his work boots and lunchbox, Australian Federal Police said Tuesday.

"It is alleged he stole between A$500 to A$700 per week by concealing minted A$2 coins in his work boots and lunch box," police said in a statement.

Following the man's arrest in the regional Victoria state town of Bendigo Monday night, police then searched a home on Tuesday in the New South Wales town of Queanbeyan, which neighbors Canberra and seized more than A$100,000 in coins.

The man has been remanded in custody and will reappear in Bendigo Local Court on February 15.

Reference: Reuters

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:04:25 pm »

I just don't understand how The Royal Australian Mint didn't notice that so many coins were disappearing. . .interesting story BWJM
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:42 am »

The use of metal detectors at the mint would have solved the problem ahead of time, however, the Australian mint really needs to think security.

I understand it is not quite so easy in Canada. The printers for bank notes must take different precautions. If it was my choice, I would rather steal $100 notes than heavy coins.

To understand crooks is to understand security measures. If you think your collection of notes/coins is safe, think like a crook.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length