Author
Topic: unknown note  (Read 3963 times)
sleeper
« on: March 17, 2006, 06:38:07 pm »

Hi guys! Maybe someone out there can help me in my research on this banknote. I know it was printed between 1861 and 1869 as the printing company only existed in those years. It was printed by  (William Cameron) W.C. Chewett & Co. litho Toronto, who is the eldest son of James Grant Chewett who in 1849 was elected vice-president of The Bank Of Upper Canada.  He later resigned in 1856 because of disagreements in polices. That very same year he became the first president of The Bank Of Toronto. That's all I know for sure, but the one signature on note is that of James E Day I wonder if he is not the son of Charles Dewey Day who was a lawyer, judge, politician and educationalist. He was president of the Royal institution for the advancement of learning a provincial body responsible for higher education between 1852-1884 and as principal pro tempore of McGill College from 1853 to 1855 and chancellor of the university from 1864 to 1884. the reason I go off in this direction is because someone in the past suggested it was an educational note. I would like to know if that is correct ( It seems very early for an educational note) or was it from a short lived bank. Anyone care to give me an ballpark figure on the value I would also appreciate knowing that, as I paid $8.00 when I purchased it. I have pictures If I could e-mail them to someone to add here  Thanks William      
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:19:25 pm »

Here it is........

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:47:25 pm by Tom »

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:47:18 pm »

Tom

You are good. nice note, good detective work.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length