Author
Topic: Security Feature NEW ERROR? Opinions Please  (Read 5805 times)
canadianpaper
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:14:22 pm »

Hello all,

I just picked up what I believe to be a significant and very unique security feature error. It is one of the newer generation $10 bills (without the polymer plastic security features).

On this bill, the gold maple leaf security overlay is severly shifted from the blank area of the note where they are usually located to the far left over the monarch. The maple leaf is also cut in 2/3rds. Larger portion on the bottom and a smaller portion on the top.

Can someone tell me if they have noted this kind of error and opinions on the rarity. This is the first I have seen, none at shows, auctions, ebay, or otherwise. The gold leafs are quite strong still with very visible irredescence.

Thanks in advance!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:12:22 pm »

A digital photo of this note clearly showing the gold leaves would be quite helpful in replying to your question. ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
canadianpaper
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:21:07 pm »

BWJM,

This is embarrassing, can you please explain to me how to include a pic with my post. I tried for about half an hour, I looked it up with the explainations but I don't get how to include images with the [IMG] [IMG] features.
Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'm actually very excited about this error - as I am considering sending it to the CCN paper as an article or to Charlton!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:23:36 pm by canadianpaper »
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:47:39 pm »

Email me the image here papermoney@sympatico.ca and I will post it for you.

Tom
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 09:51:44 pm »

You can attach an image, up to 100KB, using the attach box below the message box when you reply to a thread.

Alternatively, to post an in-line image with the [ img ] tags, you need to have the image on a website somewhere first, then put the URL to the image between the tags.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
canadianpaper
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 10:15:02 pm »

Thanks guys,
I will go get the note, take pics and pm and or try to post!

OK, let's see if this works:

{http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/$10 Obverse.jpg}

{http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/$10 Reverse.jpg}

Hey, it worked! Okay, Thanks again for the advice - Im not as useless as I thought :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 10:55:40 pm by canadianpaper »
canadianpaper
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 12:50:20 pm »

Has anyone seen this type of security error - its unique to me and seems quite unusual. Any opinions please... Thanks in advance!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 12:54:55 pm »

Wow! That is very nice! I have never seen (or heard) anything like this yet for this series. I wonder if it will be akin to the misplaced OSD for pricing purposes. It is realy nice becaise it affects so much of the note!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
canadianpaper
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 01:41:31 pm »

Hudson,
I had the same thoughts - although, this might be considered more dramatic - I think - because of the size of the Security feature. I think the OSD were somewhat questioned as well because of the possibility that they were able to be removed through chemicals and likewise, substituted. The last Coin show I went to had the RCMP counterfeit display - had some really great examples with the OSD and even the polymer inserts in the new series. Thanks for your feedback - more opinions please!
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 04:48:17 pm »

I think that I have one to match that one.  Next time I am in my safety deposit box I will have a look.

Tom    [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 08:17:21 pm »

I dug mine $10 up and the error is the same but a different prefix, FEE.

Tom
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:48:17 pm »

I look for errors all the time (esp $10.00) and I have never seen that one.  I would think it would be worth the same as the note with the gold leafs missing entirely (about $300 UNC) or more -- (depending on its condition).
Congrats....Very nice find!

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:29:26 pm »

Would you count the golden maple leaves printed on the back in the same category?  I reported a such note about one year ago and the photo is on display on the BWJM's virtual museum...

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:51:30 pm »

I'm no expert on the subject, but in my humble opinion, to have the gold leaves printed on the back means that the paper somehow got stuck, flipped over, (in otherwords- something more dramatic occurring) in the disruption of the printing process.  Such an error would be an even rarer then a note with misplaced leaves.  A scarcer note passing inspection should thus command an even higher premium.

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 04:21:31 am »

Hey There,

I have had about 10 notes with some gold flag errors. But nothing quite like that.

I have about 6 that the big leave is almost missing, actually it is very faint. A couple that 90% of it is faint and the right edge is slightly showing.
I got a few notes with some gold "drips" on them on the lower-right corner (Like ink drips).  :)

Then the Best is 3 with a LARGE gold ink GOB of the lower right. It was heavy on the back of the first note, all over the lower/right front edge of the second note and much lighter on the back of the same note and then a small amount on the front of the third. It was in the middle of a bundle wit nothing leading up to it and it dissapeared very quickly...never seen anything nothing like it.  :o

I will try and get some photo's on here tomorrow night...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 04:23:40 am by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!

Login with username, password and session length