Author
Topic: Report the "Gold Flag" fiasco  (Read 30951 times)
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 03:57:03 pm »

Printing something on a piece of paper is not counterfeiting under any forelorn definition. I printed business cards on obsolete Yugoslavians notes, notes that have no value in Canada, and no status in Canada. They are not legal tender anywhere. They were sort of cute, made an interesting business card if nothing else. They were not sold, but made up for a particular client who wanted something different.

We had a discussion some time ago about and 1898 $1 note with an extra 0 added to make it look like a $10 note. Although no similar note was produced (which a good collector can look up in his Charlton), I feel such items are counterfeit, a great many other people on here did not agree.

Adding something to a note which makes it appear to be something it is not, is counterfeiting. Adding a flag on the back or a postage stamp, or one of those notes that are counterprinted to trace the travels of the note is not counterfeiting, just a little picture added. Amazing what some people wll do to diddle a note. Of course, no real collector wants such items.

Rick
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 06:34:09 pm »

looks like you all have your mission accomplished

no more gold flags or polar bears for sale.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 07:04:43 pm »

Sadly a new 'gold flag' note was listed today in the morning. I still think that most of the bigger dealers will not be listing anymore anytime soon, or at least will change the item description drastically.

On the other hand if nothing changes I just thought of an amazing investment. Purchase the bundle of 1967 notes that is listed on ebay for $330 buy a two dollar stamp and sell them for $30-$50 each - roughly pulling in $2000-4000 ;D.........I'm kidding
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 07:15:45 pm »

Au contraire, mon ami. There are still at least three to be found, by simply searching for "gold flag".

However, one seller has decided to end his auctions early due to "an error in the listing." A good sign indeed.

Rest assured, this crusade is not over.

Don't forget to check out my guide that I wrote about these notes, and please vote for it to say it was helpful. By increasing the vote, it improves the visibility of the guide and thus helps make people aware of the issue.

[size=18]Click here![/size][/url]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 07:27:03 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 07:51:15 pm »

I just voted my "Yes" the article was helpful...it now says 10/12 members voted "yes".  Wonder if the dissenting 2/12 were a couple of the con artists who are pretty much out of business now?  ;)

In reading BWJM's report on eBay with the statement made by the Bank of Canada, you've got to wonder about their legal department and why it's taking so long for them to outlaw these notes.  Haven't the gold flag and polar bear notes been selling for at least 6 months by now?

At the very least you would think the BofC would have succeeded by now in getting the RCMP or the courts to prohibit eBay from letting people continue to sell these forgeries!  >:(  If nothing else the sellers could be charged for defacing legal tender.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 07:58:20 pm by venga50 »

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 08:07:32 pm »

Voted yes, didn't know you could write such guides on ebay. Also didn't know you speak french Brent ;) any other hidden talents? Perhaps juggling?
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 08:26:35 pm »

Voted yes, didn't know you could write such guides on ebay. Also didn't know you speak french Brent ;) any other hidden talents? Perhaps juggling?

If you can juggle, Brent, let me and eyevet know.  We can get you a big fancy hat, poofy coloured pants, and long pointy shoes with bells on the end and we can be the 21st century version of The Three Stooges...or find us a 4th member and we can be the Foolish Foursome!  ;D

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 09:17:44 pm »

LMAO - Nice! No I can't juggle, and my French sucks. I just know how to use Google Translator.

Those who haven't voted for that guide, please do so that we can help put an end to this problem.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:18:21 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 09:22:00 pm »

Gotta be careful with those online translators, though...I once translated "You're bugging me" from English to French, and then from French back to English to see if I got a true rendering.  It came back as "You're giving me insects"...

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 06:54:27 am »

I was watching a Gold flag auction last night and all three bidders cancelled there bids of over $50.U.S. and it went unsold.  :)

Gary_T
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 08:55:12 am »

Are we seeing an improvement in this situation? A positive push forward in the fight against these mutilated notes? Perhaps!

[size=18]Click here![/size][/url] to view the eBay guide I wrote on this subject and please vote that it is useful. The more positive votes we get, the more impact it will have.

Keep up your own efforts at minimizing the sale of these notes too however you do that, whether it be contacting buyers, picketing the eBay offices, laying on a pair of train tracks with a sign taped to your chest (ok, don't do this), or whatever. With enough consistent and persisting effort, we can all help cure cancer end the sale of these notes once and for all. ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 09:32:04 am »

I was watching a Gold flag auction last night and all three bidders cancelled there bids of over $50.U.S. and it went unsold.  :)

YEA!!!  I've been send the link to Brent's page to bidders on these auctions.  Guerrilla warfare works!!!

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 11:40:52 am »

Thanks all!

I emailed 3 of the top bidders on last night's gold flag (directing them to Brent's very insightful eBay guide) so I'm hoping that had some effect.  However as "hammer" rightly pointed out "people cannot be protected from themselves" at times.  The unauthorized overprints continue to be put up for auction on eBay.

Often novice collectors get the "Fred Flintstone" syndrome and believe that their collecting strategy will make them a million bucks some day (and nobody is going to tell them different!).  Once they realize they've been "had" then they mistrust everyone, and of course, eventually drop out of the collecting scene. If we can prevent 1/2 dozen unwary potential collectors of the scam, then we've contributed significantly to damage control over these fraudulent "Collector's items."

Congrats to all those who've helped!
It makes me proud to be a part of this community... ;)

Travsy
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 12:34:22 pm »

Often novice collectors get the "Fred Flintstone" syndrome and believe that their collecting strategy will make them a million bucks some day (and nobody is going to tell them different!).

Define "novice"? I've seem some pretty sharp people get paper money stupid on much bigger ticket items although it is good to see the gold flag thingy has been smited or smote or what the hell ever.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:41:05 pm by Travsy »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 01:30:52 pm »

SAD BUT TRUE

Travsy I take back what I said about "novice" collectors

[highlight]You are quite correct[/highlight]!  :'(

some pretty sharp people get paper money stupid

I have just received an email from one a bidder on the Gold Flag who
has thanked me for the warning but is now all the more ardent to buy one due to "the increased controversy over this new note!"

So the battle ain't over,
the fight continues!

Maybe we ought to put up a note and start it at $1000,000.00

Login with username, password and session length