Author
Topic: TNS Auction  (Read 14873 times)
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 11:03:22 pm »

I wasn't planning on going tommorrow but definitely would if I can have my notes in my hands sooner, so I can cuddle with them. Did I mention how much I love money?

And yes it was great to finally meet you, and other fellow members/collectors today( Oli, walkttothewater, sudzee )

I really enjoyed hanging out with a bunch of guys who talk about the same stuff I always talk about, with my friends and family, which normally always seems to fall on deaf ears until today. :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 11:05:05 pm by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 11:52:09 pm »

Roland: No, I won't be back tomorrow. It was a decent show. I found more notes than I should have bought, but meh... I always enjoy the company of friends though on days like that.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 12:10:16 am »

I should be there tomorrow, should be there first thing.  Anyone waht to find me, go to Don Olmsteads table and ask him.

Tom   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 12:39:48 am »

I should be there tomorrow, should be there first thing.  Anyone waht to find me, go to Don Olmsteads table and ask him.

Tom   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I'd watch your wallet around there. Everytime I go to Don's table I seem to leave with no money ;D

It was a good show and my first shot at the auction. I was only successful on 1 note but thats OK it was a good experience.

What does it mean when the auctioneer says it goes back to the book ?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 12:42:06 am »

Great show... not too busy...just busy enough!
Nice to see everyone there!
The auction sounds crazy!!!

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 01:11:35 am »

I'd watch your wallet around there. Everytime I go to Don's table I seem to leave with no money ;D

It was a good show and my first shot at the auction. I was only successful on 1 note but thats OK it was a good experience.

You were there and you didn't try to introduce yourself? We were the guys sitting at the back of the room. ;)

What that means is that it failed to achieve the reserve bid, and thus was not sold. Mail bids are typically reserves, although there are sometimes actual mail bids.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
buxvet
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 11:09:13 am »

You were there and you didn't try to introduce yourself? We were the guys sitting at the back of the room. ;)

What that means is that it failed to achieve the reserve bid, and thus was not sold. Mail bids are typically reserves, although there are sometimes actual mail bids.

Ahh thanks, no reserve. And I assume "it goes to the mail" means a mail bidder has won.

My son had a commitment back home in Ajax so we had to leave just over an hour into the auction, but I still got to bid on the notes I had interest in. I won the Narrow Panel 1937 $ 1 and made 3-4 bids on the 1937 Osborne $ 2 EF++.

I came into the auction about 15 mins after it started Brent and left before the end. I would have liked to have gotten to know some of you folks. Maybe at Torex if some of you all go there. I guess I was actually sitting right near you guys. I was with my 14 year old son near the back of the room. He comes to all the shows with me and has a collection of his own.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 11:25:55 am »

O yes, I remember seeing you there. You actually sat right beside us and we never even knew it. After you won that note you leaned over to me and ask what would happen if you left since you had a prior commitment - whether they would contact you or if you had to stay to recieve the note. That was me  ;D
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 01:55:51 pm »

On the other hand it appears Charlton's has over-priced the multicolour specimen sets.  These currently book at $2,150 in the 18th ed. but in today's auction one of these sets went for $1,400 (about $1,850 with hammer fees/taxes).

Comparing a 1954 $2 modified specimen and a 1974 $2 specimen, there were only 108 of the '54s produced and it books at $225 in the 17th ed.  There were 635 of the '74s produced and it books only $25 lower at $200  

Your right Venga on both counts but the extra $2 and $5 1954 specimens don't sell at book. The $2 at the aution sold for almost $375 all in. I wouldn't think about selling any of my extras for less than double book.

I'm sure there will be a correction on the multicolour specimens because I have not seen one sell close to book.

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 08:05:53 pm »

It was me calling the auction.
In most cases, I do not know what it is I am selling, All I have is a page of numbers. The opening bid is called out to me, and I take it from there, attampting to follow the ebay increments. The woman to my left is actually running the auction on ebay.

The start bid is a combination of reserve and mail bid. I am never sure which, so when I get no bids, it sells for the starting price, so to save time, I call it the mail. About 30% of the lots sold on eBay, which is typical. After the auction, which ended at midnight, many people stayed to pick up won lots, while the rest, many picked up on Sunday. Others choose to have them mailed.

I noticed the pack of paper money people sitting at the back of the room. One was sporting very nice shorts.

Rick
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 08:17:49 pm »

I noticed the pack of paper money people sitting at the back of the room. One was sporting very nice shorts.

Rick

I really loved that hat, I had one just like it once, and seemed to have lost it at a show at one time.   8-)

Tom
buxvet
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 08:31:23 pm »

O yes, I remember seeing you there. You actually sat right beside us and we never even knew it. After you won that note you leaned over to me and ask what would happen if you left since you had a prior commitment - whether they would contact you or if you had to stay to recieve the note. That was me  ;D

Go figure eh. Well nice to meet ya then Oli

And Rick. I was unable to return Sunday also. Will I get an invoice in the mail for the Narrow Panel. Can the notes be picked up somewhere or am I stuck with the mail now.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 10:10:58 pm »

All material not picked up in Hamilton, was taken back to Quebec City late Sunday night. I suspect it was several hours before Eric got back. Looks like Canada Post is the way it is coming now.

Rick
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 06:46:38 pm »

C&P was the holder of the auction as he was the high bidder to hold it in Hamilton. The previous auctioneer decided to perform auctions using a different venue. I called the auction as an agreement with C&P, as I have called several for him before (TICF in Oakville for two years).

One needs a little bit of shyness to work in front of the public, I managed to overcome my shyness.

Rick
buxvet
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 07:54:43 pm »

One needs a little bit of shyness to work in front of the public, I managed to overcome my shyness.

Rick

I have a comment Rick, not a complaint at all because this is somewhat rare
I sat in the front row in the opening of the auction because I'm partially deaf, but later moved to the back because I preferred to be able to see if I was bidding against others in the room. It was the lesser of the the two evils. At one point you picked up the microphone and sort of asked if we wanted you to use the mike  8-). Honestly even in the front row I had a hard time hearing. When we skipped lot 138A ( Devils Face replacement ) which was next on the list ( do you remember ) I lost track of what was happening. The bid opened at $ 250 for a different note ( Devils Face $ 2 slider ) ( Whatever a slider is ) I was shocked thinking why was the bid so low for a Dev Repl. I quickly bid because it was the next note in the book. No matter anyways, the $ 2 received multiple bids and I ended up not being the high bidder for a note I wasn't interested in. My suggestion is to use the mike in the future. Difficulty hearing is an impairment you can't see and would have no way of knowing anything about. But there are lots of us out out there. :-[

Login with username, password and session length