Author
Topic: Here today, gone today (Ralph)  (Read 8689 times)
eastguy
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 12:22:40 am »

And now that a particular note is out there is there any chance of it being returned to sender?

Tim Horton's stain aside, I'd trade a 1971 mint Tim Horton Penguins hockey card for the note in question.

:Deastguy  

EGUY
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 12:50:09 am »

They say that breaking the chain is bad luck.... 70 years of financial losses, a wrecked love life, no luck whatsoever, etc...

I'm honestly curious how long we can perpetuate this chain. I think it's quite exciting! :D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 03:53:23 am »

Update on the note's progress:

I have included the following with the banknote to help explain it to recipients:
Please read this letter carefully. It contains instructions
about what to do with the banknote you received.
Hello!

Congratulations on being a recipient of the official Canadian Paper Money Forums “short snorter” note!

This note has its origins in low-denomination notes passed around between soldiers during wartime. Some stories say that the soldier in a bar that has such a note with the fewest signatures buys a round for everyone. In some cases, several such notes are taped together as notes run out of room.

This particular banknote started with Ralph Ferguson from the east coast of Canada. Ralph’s username on the forums is eastguy. Much thanks to Ralph for initiating this adventure. Since leaving the east coast, it has collected signatures of many CPMF members including:
  • Paul Wallis
  • Tom Merritt (Tom)
  • Brent Mackie (BWJM)
  • Michael Zigler (eyevet)
  • Gary Fedora (sudzee)
  • Bob Graham (bob) and others.
In addition to forum members, some honourable guests have added their signatures to the note including:
  • Jim Charlton (founder of the Charlton Press, respected numismatist)
  • Harold Brown (current president of the Canadian Paper Money Society)
  • Dick Dunn (secretary-treasurer of the CPMS)
Now it’s your turn! Please sign this note with your full name and forum username. Include the date near your signature. Use any available space, but please be considerate to leave some room for others. After signing the note, please mail it to another forum member who has not yet signed the note. Please include this letter.

Finally, please visit the forums and send an email or PM to BWJM (bwjm@cdnpapermoney.com) letting him know that you have received the note. Please include your postal code (to eventually map the note’s journey), who you received the note from, and who you sent it to (names only). If the note is in poor shape or there is any other sign of abuse, please report it.

This is proving to be a fun and exciting adventure for CPMF members. Let’s see how many signatures we can collect!

Thank you![/i]

Further, since the note's visit to the CNA, it has accumulated three more signatures: one being another moderator, and the other two being VIPs from the Bank of Canada Currency Museum. The note will continue its journey.

I have also created a webpage that tracks the note's travels...
http://www.bwjm.ca/snorter.asp
The webpage was created using Google Maps technology, and features a movable map, clickable markers, a dynamic line connecting the dots, etc. Clicking on a marker pops up a text bubble showing who signed the note and when. Two markers also indicate where, namely the note's special visits to the 2006 CNA Convention, and the Bank of Canada, where it gathered several VIP signatures.

The note is quickly running out of space. Ralph, do you have a second note in-sequence with this that can be attached in short-snorter tradition to give signatories additional real estate to occupy?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 03:56:41 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length