Author
Topic: High-value  notes  (Read 5825 times)
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: April 23, 2006, 11:32:38 pm »

Dear  Friends:
             Does  anyone  know  where  I  might  be  able  to  get  images  of the  various issues  of
Dominion  of  Canada  high-value  notes  of  1872,  1911,  1925???    I did  find  a  nice  color image  of
the  front  and  back  of  the  1925  $1000  on  the  covers  of  my only  Charlton  book,   the  old 5th  edition.  Do  any of  the  other  Charlton  editions  portray  any  of  these high-value notes?  Any  chance
I  could  obtain  these  images???   I  understand  that  a pair  of  the  1911 notes  was  offered  at  an  auction  in  2002,  but  I have  been  unable  to  locate  a  catalogue which  might  have  images of  these.
             I am  also  interested  in trying   to  locate  images of  the  various  Bank Legal  issues.  although  I  understand  that  this  is much  more  difficult  and   that  only proofs  or specimens  are
available.    Do  any of  the  Charlton  editions  have  Bank  Legals  on  the  covers???
              I  am  always  willing  to  pay  any  reasonable   expense  connected  with obtaining  such  images,  such  as  postage  for  the  loan  and  PROMPT  return  of  any  book  or  catalogue  which
might  have  these  images.  (I  can  provide  references  if  requested.)   IF  the  provider/lender  demands  it,  then  I  will promise  NOT  to  share his/her  image  with  other  persons  outside  my
own  family.    Thank  you all  for  your  help.
                                                Newcomer        (Bernard  Schaaf, MD,  Southern  California)
                                                On  parle  Francais

Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:17:43 pm »

Dear  LeventeJakab:
           I  do  thank  you  very  much  for  leading  me  to  the  much-desired  images  of  the  1911  and  1925  $500  notes.   I  have  a  nice  image  of  the  1924  $1000  which  I  got  from  the  front
and  back  covers  of  my  copy  of  5th  Charlton  (I  have  only  the  5th  and  the  17th).  I  do  still
need  a  nice  image  of  a  1911  $1000----maybe  someday,  somewhere.....
         I  assume you  are a  collector,  so  I  am  asking  your  help  concerning  the  colors.  Re  the
1911  $500:  Charlton  says  the  colors  were  obverse  "black  with green  8-) tint " and  the  reverse  "green," whereas  the  image  of   an  isssued and  obviously  circulated  note  shows  its  colors to  be  obverse and  reverse  both  brown.   Did  it  happen  that  Specimen notes (as  depicted  by  Charlton)  used  one  color scheme but  notes  for  circulation  had  a  different  color  scheme??   I  have  a small  picture  of  a  Proof  note  from  a  recent  auction  catalogue  that shows  the  1911  $500  Proof  color  to  be  blue (not  green)!
         Same  question  for  the  1925  $500.   Charlton  says  the  colors  were obverse  "black  with
brown  tint"  and  reverse  "brown,"  yet  the  image of  the  the  issued  note  shows  its  predominant
color to  be  blue!  Also,  if  Charlton  is  apparently  "wrong"  about  the  colors  of  the  ISSUED  $500's  of  1911  and  1925,  is  he  also  wrong  about  the colors  of  the  1911  $1000  (said by  him  to
be  "blue")??    
           You  mention  Bank  Legals  too.   The only  images  I  have  seen  of  any  of  these  are  the
teensy-weensy  black-and-white  photos of  specimen  notes  in  Charlton.   Are  there  any  color
images  available  anywhere????
             And  one  last inquiry:    do  you  know  where I might locate  an  image of  one  of the  1870  notes  with  the  blue  ST.  JOHN  overprint??     (Even  a  black-and-white  would  be  okay.)
              I  used  to  be  a  collector  (I  even  had  a  devil's  head  asterisk),  but  now  I  can  collect
 only  images  (including  the  Chartered  Banks).     Is  there  anything  I  can  do  for  you   to  repay your  courtesy??    I  have  some  USA  images  that  have  never  been  published.
              Once  again:  thank  you for  your  help.
                                                                                    Bernard  Schaaf MD  aka  "Newcomer"
                                                                                    Southern  California  (Yes,  we do  get a  lot  
                                                                                        of  heat  here  in  summertime,  but  at  
                                                                                        least  I  never  have  to  shovel  it.)

Login with username, password and session length