Author
Topic: Globe & Mail Article: Business booming at RCM  (Read 5822 times)
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:34:29 pm »

What price for a penny?
TAVIA GRANT

Thursday, May 11, 2006

TORONTO — With copper and nickel prices soaring to record highs daily, does it cost more than a penny to produce a penny?

It sure does south of the border, where the United States Mint estimates it now costs 1.23 cents (U.S.) to make a 1-cent coin and 5.73-cents to produce a nickel.

It's a different story in Canada, however, where the penny is still economical at 8/10ths of a Canadian cent to make, while nickels costs a mere 1 cent. Those costs haven't budged in a decade, despite soaring commodity prices, because the Royal Canadian Mint's process uses just a dollop of copper or nickel coating over a steel base.

That lower-cost, patented production, in place since 1996, also means countries from Thailand to the Dominic Republic are opting to have their coins produced in Winnipeg.

“We're seeing an increase in interest” from foreign countries, said Pam AungThin, spokeswoman for the Mint. The plating technology the Mint uses keeps costs down and, in a time of rising metal prices, “it's definitely a competitive advantage.”

Indeed, the Mint's revenue from foreign circulation nearly doubled last year to $43.8-million.

This year, the Ottawa-based Mint has signed business for 12 foreign currencies, with coin production for Thailand, Dominican Republic, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand all under way. In the past quarter century, the Mint has produced more than 52 billion coins for 62 different countries.

Demand is expected to be so robust in the years ahead that the Mint itself is outsourcing. Last month, it signed an agreement with Jarden Zinc Products Inc., based in Tennessee, which will produce plated coin blanks for the Mint's potential customers in the Americas. (Blanks are metal disks that still need to be struck).

In the past year, the Mint has also expanded the foreign coin sales team in four market regions – Asia and the Pacific, the Middle East, Europe and Latin America.

Another way the 98-year-old Mint keeps costs in check has been through hedging. It secured all of its nickel and copper supply for this year back in December. Ms. AungThin wouldn't speculate how this year's commodities gains might affect hedging.

While the Canadian penny's design hasn't changed since 1937, its ingredients have. Today's one-cent coin is 94-per-cent steel, 1.5-per-cent nickel and 4.5-per-cent copper.

With today's red-hot copper prices, pennies prior to 1997 have become a whole lot more valuable. Before '97, pennies were 98-per-cent copper, 1.75-per-cent zinc and 0.25-per-cent other metals.

The nickel, once made of silver, is now nickel plated while the loonie is bronze plate on nickel. The Mint won't say how much it costs to produce its other coins, citing “competitive reasons.”

On the domestic front, a booming economy has boosted demand for coins.

“This growth, along with the inflation that accompanies economic growth, tends to stimulate demand for coins,” the Mint said in its 2005 annual report.

Still, with inflation and new loonies and toonies jangling in Canadians pockets, does it really still make sense for the Mint to make pennies?

“It's so low-cost to produce, I don't think it will become uneconomical,” Ms. AungThin said. “Right now it is economical, but we make our coins based on demand. And I don't foresee changes to that demand.”

Besides, it would be the Canadian government, not the Mint, that would decide to do away with the penny.

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 11:05:52 pm »

A really poorly written article. Canada does not nor has it ever produced pennies. Take a look at your change. It says cent.  The other coin mentioned is a 5 cents, not a nickel. Good grief, such poor use of slang in a national newspaper.

Rick
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 06:30:23 am »

I understood exactly what she was saying. Two dimes a nickel and three quarters make a loonie.  ;)

Gary_T
happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:41:24 pm »

The nickel, once made of silver, is now nickel plated ...

Why in the world would you think to call it a "nickel" if it was made of silver?

What a shame that we have to weigh down our pockets with this kind of junkyard metal!

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 04:09:05 pm »

My brother used to work for the Hamilton Spectator.  
(Mike Baldwin cartoonist of "Cornered" but then the art editor)

It always irked me that spelling in almost all Canadian papers followed US rather British (Oxford) spelling.  He laughed at my emotional response to Americanized spelling in today's papers.  When I asked him why he thought it was so funny: his reply?
"Its economics dear brother! It costs less to print favor instead of favour (or flavour), and so on."  

Plus: newspapers' target audiences are "the lowest common denominator," no high brow "Peter Mansbridge" types, he said.  

Its true if you read it.  Papers are designed for "mass appeal" as its "mass communication." Only makes sense if you think about it!

James

Login with username, password and session length