Author
Topic: 1954 $2 E/R Test note  (Read 15378 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 10:32:17 pm »

Eyevet's comments regarding collectors' learning curve re: tests, and their numbers in UNC make perfect sense.  The 79 numbering system threw everyone off, and hence the replacements and tests were all quite difficult to find, and now steep in BV.

Supposedly the demand for S/R notes in general are  on the decrease.

This is really surprising considering that test notes are a thing of the past.  I have seen few to none at the last 2 shows here in Ontario.  I saw a RS and 330 $5 in F to VF at the Niagara show. Very high priced with no buyers the first day (perhaps someone did snap it up).  

The lower grades seem to be commanding high prices too.  Most sellers seem to be ahead of the book in the prices they're looking for.

I think these things go in cycles.  Right now everyone is more aware of the G/R (and $5) rarity, so there seems to be a lot of focus on those notes.  I recall seeing many test notes on ebay in 2004 but haven't seen many the past year.  At the Paris show it was hard to get a decent replacement (let alone a test note).  I think the lack of supply will increase the demand (so we might see the BV increase too).

Now that we know there's another E/R test note out there it will be interesting to see if there's a few discoveries.  I found a G/R (not a test-- wrong number range) but a nice find nevertheless in a bundle of ratty $2's in Paris.  Cost me $3 in F.  I think if we keep a vigil out for these notes there may be some happy discoveries yet to come! ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:36:06 pm by walktothewater »

JB-2007
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 11:43:31 am »

Thats a really good price for that G/R note. I think it books at $40 now in F. Could anyone tell me why G/R notes have become very pricy these days? I mean it appears that they were almost a full run with of course the exception of a few very small ranges of G/R test issue.

I think there is an even higher demand today for those very rare test notes like the G/R, E/R, RS $5 and 3300 $5 because the availablity of these notes are so slim. But as for the $2 S/Rs its obvious that there has been a decrease in demand because  the prices of these notes alone have fallen a bit over the last 10 years.
Wish the prices for the RS $5 and 3300 can fall!
happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 03:37:16 pm »

But as for the $2 S/Rs its obvious that there has been a decrease in demand

Or just more discoveries being made? I got a beattie ras S/R from an amerian guy who didn't have any idea what it was. Not in such high grade though.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 02:33:59 am »

why G/R notes have become very pricy these days?

That's a good question, and one I've always wondered myself.  I almost wonder if its just the attention the prefix has had.  But if that's the case than it may be documented as a short or scarce prefix. I have to admit that I seldom see the prefix auctioned on eBay (esp in good condition).

The many interruptions in its issue may suggest that it was released in incomplete ranges.  That would suggest that the numbers (reported by BOC) don't reflect how many notes were released (like the real test notes).  Often Real Test Notes were released in ranges not recorded in Charlton (eg R/S of 74 $2).  Perhaps a similar phenomenon occurred with the regular G/R prefix.  Or maybe they were actively culled like the test note (or as the "untreated normal lot" of notes)  

Eyevet?  Anyone have any info on this?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:36:24 am by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length