Author
Topic: 1973 $1 bill colour  (Read 3647 times)
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:24:37 am »

Just wanted to get some feedback from the members of the forum.  I found a $1 bill prefix AC6708156  Lawson/Bouey and the colour  on the right side that side of the bill is a deeper and more pronouced green blue.

I checked with other bills of this  year  and  all the bills  I compared with seems a lot less pronounced in green blue colour.  Was this just an oddity or was this done for a specific reason.

I will attempt to add a picture but I am lousy with scanners.   Thanks for your feedback

polarbear
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:02:35 am »

Hi polarbear,

I also have found that the 1973 $1 Lawson-Bouey notes with two-letter prefixes are more intensely-coloured on the right-hand side than the Crow-Bouey three-letter prefixes.

I believe the reason for this is for the same reason why the 1954 Devil's Face notes seem to be more deeply-coloured than the Modified notes...the BofC was trying to save money on the ink :-/  Anyone else have any other ideas?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 02:54:03 am »

Many of the multicoloured notes underwent some minor colour changes. Many of the blue-green tones that you are referring to in the $1, $2, $20, $100 were reduced to create a more uniform colour across the note. Compare the early 2-letter notes to the later 3-letter or 11-digit notes and you will see clearly what I am referring to. I have no idea where the changeover might be, but sooner or later someone is going to research the topic to death and accumulate a massive collection of these notes, find about 40 discrete changeover points and publish a thesis on the subject. Eventually. So far, nobody seems to have cared, though many have noticed.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length