Author
Topic: New Journey $5 Test Note (This is NOT a Joke!)  (Read 67527 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:11:26 am »

Hello Everyone!

Well, as the Title Reads...

I am 99.9% Sure I have discovered some new Journey $5 Test Notes.  NO THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!  :o

I have worked with Journey $5 notes for quite sometime. They have the usual stiff paper that we know from every other note.
Well, recently I got a few Bricks of HOW 0.53-0.54 and 0.83-0.84 (Lowest by far ever seen).

Something that REALLY bothered me right from the first note I touched was "This Paper is REALLY SOFT".  :-?
I mean not a little bit, but a [size=14]TOTALLY different Paper Composition.[/size]

So I started compairing and aksing around if ANYONE has noticed anything different. NOTHING!!!
[size=14]I asked a Very Reputable Local Dealer and he has NEVER seen anything like it![/size] He was eager to get some from me but I decided to investigate further instead.

So, Why is this Paper so soft right out of the Brick???  :-/
Possible Polymer Testing???

I just got a few bricks of HOV notes and Guess what.... Regular Stiff Paper Material.  :o

I asked Brent and he has no idea. I am sending him a few notes to check it out.  I am [size=14]VERY SURE[/size][/b] these are new Test Notes trying a new Paper Composition.  :o
Thus the very limited number of HOW notes even spotted.

So Here is the problem. [size=14]I can't hold onto the remaining bundles of these notes very long[/size][/b].

Anyways, I hate to see these notes go to waste and put them into Circulation. THIS COULD BE A REAL GOLDMINE FIND!!!

These will be high value notes! [size=16]I have this REALLY DEEP GUT FEELING ON THESE NOTES! [/size]I wish I had more time to work on this!!!

I am NOT pulling anyones leg here, no pranks or jokes. This is going to be one of those time you will be kicking yourself for not getting these notes super cheap! [size=14] I am SO SURE of this I have put away over $2000 worth of these notes for myself!!![/size]

Let me know if you are interested!!! These notes are being destroyed and put into Circulation this Wednesday - Thursday.

[size=14]You Can E-Mail me at Spams@Telus.net or PM me if you are interested. [size=18]First Come First Serve, there is a limited number available![/size][/size]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:18:39 pm by admin »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 01:07:51 pm »

Question:
Has the BOC ever released polymer notes in the past that we know of ?
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 01:54:34 pm »

Can you post a scan of both sides here?

Tom
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:27:58 pm »

You should take the time to get your notes confirmed as " high value test notes " before you market them as such on this site. I wouldn't want to see any financial loses if your notes don't turn out to be what you claim.

The paper used on the journey series reacts with humidity and temperature. The hotter and more humid it is the limper notes feel. This may in fact be the case with your notes. We have had a few posts already on $5 paper that is somewhat thinner or thicker than is usually seen. This could also be the case.

The scarcity of  prefix HOW is due to it only being issued for a few weeks. I have some notes in the 5million range so I'm sure HOW was fully printed.

I would rely on the expertise of members of this site, and the CPMS, before I would take the word of a dealer as gospel when it comes down to recent issues not currently in Charlton. Most dealers are only as up to date as the last Charlton. Dealers buy and sell notes and coins and generally don't have the time to " study " current issues.

With approx 1 billion modified journey notes alreay issued I'm sure the BoC would have already done any paper test it deemed necessary.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Gary

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 02:31:40 pm »

Never heard of any polymer notes printed for the BoC.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 03:00:02 pm »

Yea, I agree.

The Polyumer theory was mentioned to me by another member.

I amf trying to make sense of these notes. I have worked with a lot of these notes and there is something VERY different about these notes. Everyone who has touched one noticed RIGHT AWAY something was really different about the notes.

I have an E-Mail into BoC requesting more information.

I have presented my findings. My Problem is that these notes will be long gone before this is figured out. I have vowed to get to the bottom of this...

But it would also make sense if the BoC was starting testing for a new Series of Bank notes for the future.

But I agree, this is not gospel but something is not adding up.

Why would there also be 5 Million notes showing up but no one has seen ANY very low serials??? Just a Little something to think about.  :-?

Thank you very much for the Advice and I hope together we can all figure out what is going on...

Thank You!
Cam

PS>>>>  I will take a close picture of one of the notes and post it.  :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:02:01 pm by X-Savior »

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 08:04:47 pm »

Hi There,

Thanks!  ;)

I had to attract some attention.

I have had an overwhelming response to these notes and I would like to thank EVERYONE!

I know there is SOMETHING special about these notes and the Paper Used. I am trying to get info from BoC but it is like pulling teeth.  >:(

ANyone have any connections to make some more headway?  :-/

These notes will most likely be worth SOMETHING be it a Test Note or something similar. :)

As I have Mentioned. THESE NOTES ARE NOT OFFICAL TEST NOTES YET!!! ::)

I am working with quite a few people to determine this. I also do appreciate the assistance from Gary and Brent. With their help we will figure this out. A few members will be getting their notes soon. Feedback from them would also help back up my claim.

I don't want this to sound cheezy but I really do wish I could hold on to these notes but they must move on to make way for new arrivals. I really wish I was not so rushed.  :(

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:06:48 pm »

Also,

Sudz will be getting a Complete Brick Breakdown tonight to help determine what is going on.  8-)

I do appreciate the help, and I hope as a Community we can work together to figure this out.

Thank You!

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:26:02 pm »

Hi There,

Ok, I have hosted some Super High Resolution pictures of one of the notes. For everyone to see!

http://www3.telus.net/Ravy/HOW-Back1.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/Ravy/HOW-Back2.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/Ravy/HOW-Front.JPG

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 01:39:28 am »

It is difficult, well impossible, to see from the pictures to see the composition of the note. It would be much better to feel the note in person to draw a personally conclusion. However, like Sudzee mentioned, the notes feel thicker/thinner in coordination with the temperature. I have seen some other posts about thick/thin feeling notes. None the less, best of luck and you have my support!
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 01:43:39 am »

I left a note on general forum that the HOP seemed to be thicker.  I thought I was going nuts  but we just have to wait  and see if  it is a test note.  I would assume that the bank would be having the test notes out sooner.  Hey the BOC has done weirder things before.

Cheers

Polarbear ;D
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 02:50:41 am »

Hi There,

I agree with all of you.

But these notes do not seem Thicker OR Thinner. They Feel DIFFERENT. The entire surface is different

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »

As the 1954 S/R Lawson Bouey $2.00 test notes came out in 1973 (just before the new 74 MC series) a test doesn't necessarily have to coincide with the beginning of an issue... it could happen before.  The R/S tests occured in 75 and 76.

However, I am extremely skeptical abou the HOW being a TEST note. If all you have to go by is paper thickness, texture, tint, or any of a combination of those characteristics -- it gives you little to jump to such a conclusion. HOW have been spotted too many times to qualify...though maybe there is a specific range of HOWs (this is huge leap in faith) -- but not impossible

If one has seen a prefix which doesn't really follow the pattern of prefixes issued (and isn't counterfeit)-- that would be a much better candidate.  I even believe that test/experimental notes would come out like BABN replacements - and NOT in bricks.  This would just defeat the purpose of their issue.  Remember BOC does not want anyone to know they're testing their product --otherwise the test will be invalidated.

Like anyone-- I wish you the best too in your "discovery."

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 07:23:52 pm »

;)

I share all your feeling!

I think the question is now is.... What ARE these notes? and WHY are they like this?

Everyone will be getting them this week and next week so I would really like to hear from the others what THEY think.  :-?

Thanks!
Cam

NightOwl
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 11:52:49 pm »

Compared the HOW notes to several other notes from the HOE and HOG series.
I wasn't able to pick out the HOW notes from a group of 8 notes based on the feel of the notes.

My son amd wife were also asked to see if they could notice anything special. No hints.  

Same result with my wife and son. My son has an acute sense of touch due to his poor vision, while he noticed a variation in the notes, no note stood out as significantly different.  

No significant differnce under UV light.  

Conclusion: HOW 0950920 and 21 don't stand out.

Login with username, password and session length