Author
Topic: New Journey $5 Test Note (This is NOT a Joke!)  (Read 69106 times)
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 12:28:13 am »

Just tried tearing a polymer New Zealand fiver. Lots of force but couldn't. Put a match to it and the corner immediateky shrivelled up whereas an HOT burned.
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 12:31:50 am »

Just tried tearing a polymer New Zealand fiver. Lots of force but couldn't. Put a match to it and the corner immediateky shrivelled up whereas an HOT burned.

Gotta luv ya Sudzee, you have $$ to burn ;D
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 12:40:12 am »

Hmm... interesting... I am a cashier, something tells me that tomorrow I am going to be acquiring a range of $5 notes to fold, spindle, and mutilate...  ::) I am finally beginning to see the HOT, HOU, HOY notes...

Though I have not tried folding or tearing my HOW notes... I only have two, and don't want to ruin them...   ;D

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006, 05:38:11 am »

I have to agree with Paul!  ;)

I tried to tear a note and I could not. I applied a lot more force than required for any paper note I have ever dealt with.

It only crunched and bunched up.  :o
I have not had the guts to mutilate one of these notes till now.... But I didn't want to miss the fun!   ::)

I know what all you are refering to with the Pre vs Post HOR. The HOW notes are difficult in a totally different way!  :-/

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 07:44:28 am »

I can't believe my ears!  Us lot are supposed to be paper money lovers but some of us are going around tearing and burning paper money :o  Great, now when I start to get $5 notes with blackened corners and/or Scotch tape all over them, I'll know why ;D  Where is Bitburger and why is he standing idly by why some of our fellow collectors have gone mad and are defacing legal tender! :D

Has anyone tried the Strauss test on the HOT notes yet?  You know, you get two horses facing in opposite directions to pull on the note with all their might?  This is the Levi Strauss test   ;)

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2006, 02:00:27 pm »

I bet the paper change has a direct coorelation to the CBN company going public. (Responisbility is now to shareholders).  There must be some significant cost differences. Then for them to try polymer (or whatever it is), you know they are trying to roll back costs. They could roll back costs immensely if a polymenr note lasted for 3 years instead of 8 months.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 02:01:03 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
moneycow
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2006, 02:11:13 pm »

Not a cost savings issue for CBN.  If you were a company would you rather have a contract to build something every 8 months or every 3 years?  They'll take the more frequent order every time.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2006, 06:23:07 pm »

Never thought about that - with that line of thought, you could possibly say that they would WANT the $5s to last for a shorter time frame.

Hmm.  anyone else have a thought about this?

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2006, 07:00:18 pm »

Well first off: there's no certainty that a switch is on to polymer... only a hopeful probability according to some of us here Huds.

So if the switch does occur:  it would have little to do with CBN's going public (or desire for greater profits).

I think it would be more likely a request by BOC who will have to dish out more in the short run but then likely save (and save the taxpayers $) in the long run.  I have no doubt that studies to this effect would have already been done.

The primary gains would be less bills ordered to be printed, and less counterfeiting/breaches of security.  Polymer is apparently very difficult to forge. Also the less notes used the more environmentally conscientious they can claim to be.  2004 (new security featured) twenties have already been counterfeited.  With all the $ and research they've done to try to make this new version of money safe-- only to be proven wrong-- could also be an embarrassment to the BOC brass.  The remedy: polymer (which has probably been suggested a number of times before).

that's my 2 cents

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2006, 08:15:01 pm »

Hmm. Polymer or plastic or whever it was, there must be some reason. UNLESS they were just printed on the wrong stock- but wait that was ruled out, because then it would have had to be the wrong ink too. Or is it?  Has anyone tried to rub the ink off one? Tom, with your damaged note, maybe it could be the sacrafiicial lamb for this.  Try rubbing the ink off, maybe they DID use regular ink and put this pile of sheet stock by mistake (by some rookie maybe). Kind of like when a loonie gets stamped onto a blank from another country.  CBN prints alot of things, not just Canadian Currency, it could have been stock from another one of their product lines (money is really one of their products).

fyi- I have see fake Journey $100s too- very good, but ser. no. YBJ dead give-away.

Whether they are test or errors, well I dont know if that issue is completely decided on yet (based on my crazy ink idea).

Here is some other food for thought.

When was the last time a company, directly related to the federal government, not do well?  the gov't is not exactly the most effecient at its money management, although CBN might be.  Perhaps the CBN is working their system into having shorter life span notes in order to have the Gov't  pay them more?

Ahh politics- I am not getting into this one any further re: the politics (it was joking in nature please know).  Well, I am interested to see how this pans out.

Huds
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 08:16:33 pm by hudsonab »

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2006, 12:58:07 am »

I think a better experiment would be to compare the ripping to other HOW notes not in the ranges above mentioned and it seem that a sure way of proving the notes as poly is to burn a corner someone who has tried to tear theres should try to light a corner and see if it burns or shrivels
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2006, 01:41:51 am »

Hi There,

Ok, I am here to the rescue...

I just happent o have a spare note. I will try to rip it (Compaired to a HOW 5.85) burn it and Wet it.

Then Try and Spend it!  ;D

I will do it tonight and post the results tomorrow (Or tonight if it proves interesting).

I will also take pictures of the notes.  ::)

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2006, 01:54:33 am »

You are a wild man x-savior.

Cheers

Polarbear
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2006, 02:35:10 am »

Well, The results were interesting...  :-/

(I am sorry. My pictures turned out HORRIBLE!!!) You can't really see anything (Camera Trouble).  >:(

Results
--------
HOW 5.85 : Tore quite easy by tearing a straight line. Tore with a twisting motion.  :-?
HOW 0.84 : Tore with more difficulty but did tear with more strength. Could not tear the note with a twisting motion.  :)

HOW 5.85 : Lit Bottom Right Corner on Fire with BBQ Lighter. Lit and Burns VERY quickly. Only let burn for about 2 secs and entire corner was gone.  :o
HOW 0.84 : Took about 2.5 Secs to really start and burned about 1/2 the speed. Same amount was burned in about 5 seconds of burning..  :-?

HOW 5.85 : Placed a few water drops on the middle right. Water was absorbed in about 2 seconds.  ::)
HOW 0.84 : Sat there for about 5 seconds and then 1/2 Soaked. There was a small water drop remaining on the surface of the note. Seemed the Paper would not absorbe any more in those spots.  :-/

Conclusion : Notes tore but with a difference. Really noticeable with Twisting motion. I have never burned money before, Notes were close (As it went so quick) but there was a burn rate difference. Fire was more contained to the local spot VS Spreading very quickly. Water drops was a big one. I could not get the Test Note to soak the drop to 100% like the Regular note.  ;)

buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2006, 05:29:34 pm »

Well, The results were interesting...  :-/

(I am sorry. My pictures turned out HORRIBLE!!!) You can't really see anything (Camera Trouble).  >:(

Results
--------
HOW 5.85 : Tore quite easy by tearing a straight line. Tore with a twisting motion.  :-?
HOW 0.84 : Tore with more difficulty but did tear with more strength. Could not tear the note with a twisting motion.  :)

HOW 5.85 : Lit Bottom Right Corner on Fire with BBQ Lighter. Lit and Burns VERY quickly. Only let burn for about 2 secs and entire corner was gone.  :o
HOW 0.84 : Took about 2.5 Secs to really start and burned about 1/2 the speed. Same amount was burned in about 5 seconds of burning..  :-?

HOW 5.85 : Placed a few water drops on the middle right. Water was absorbed in about 2 seconds.  ::)
HOW 0.84 : Sat there for about 5 seconds and then 1/2 Soaked. There was a small water drop remaining on the surface of the note. Seemed the Paper would not absorbe any more in those spots.  :-/

Conclusion : Notes tore but with a difference. Really noticeable with Twisting motion. I have never burned money before, Notes were close (As it went so quick) but there was a burn rate difference. Fire was more contained to the local spot VS Spreading very quickly. Water drops was a big one. I could not get the Test Note to soak the drop to 100% like the Regular note.  ;)

No posts on these notes for a few days. Has anyone found anything about them.
Are we any closer to any conclusion about what if anything is going on with these notes.

I got some from X-S and they are different. Not complete polymer though. I have a 20 Peso
Mexican Polymer and it's pretty different. Maybe they are a paper polymer mix of some sort.
I could beleive that

Login with username, password and session length