Author
Topic: Question regarding 1870 25 Cent Shinplasters  (Read 9428 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:37 am »

Hi all, I was hoping if someone could shed some light regarding the 1870 series of 25 Cent Shinplasters.

Ok so based on the numbers printed Series A and B had 2 Million Each and the Plain Series had 300,000 Printed.

Based on those numbers one would think that the plain series would be the more valuable one since far fewer we produced. But based on the catalogue the A series is more significantly valuable than the other series notes. And based on my audit of past auctions, they are significantly scarcer as well.

Which comes to my question... Was there some sort of special event (a recall or something like that) or extenuating circumstances that affected those 2 Million Series A notes printed and made them scarcer?

Thanks in advance.

Hounddog
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:57:00 pm »

The A series were printed and released in 1870 to cover the shortage of silver coins, when the order of silver coins arrived there was less need for fractional note. By 1871 they had the B series printed and released them between 1871 and 1897 as needed. The plain were printed with old plates with the series letter removed in the 1890's although fewer were released they were the most recent. In short the A series were all released in 1870 so you have a much less survival rate. Hope this helps with your question.

Cheers, Bill

[img
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:16 pm »

Great thanks for that interesting tidbit

Shylo
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:06:37 pm »

I was awaiting the answer to this myself.... and thank you for the info...facinating!

Login with username, password and session length