Author
Topic: Your Recent Finds  (Read 76455 times)
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 04:32:05 pm »

Picked up a few bricks of HOV today, and found my first ladder! ;D\

No inserts found.

Sorry just realized this forum is for items found in change.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:22:17 am by BWJM »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 05:31:58 pm »

Very nice find. ;) I want to find one for face. I just picked up a Radar out of the Bank today 2927292 on a $20  ;D

CPMS Member 1564
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 09:55:41 pm »

LOL yes we are all waiting to get that kind of set for face vaule ;)

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 09:59:22 pm »

Very nice Manada, those are extremely tough to find.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 10:05:38 pm »

Hey that's the spirit. So I'm gonna get that Unc $10 replacement BEX-Ascending-error-mustached-John-A-MacDonald-BC-63aAxxii right out of that 7-11 ATM right around the corner from where I live. Think positive....think positive...think...oh that's the dinner bell ringing. :D

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 12:48:09 pm »

This was purchase, not a find, but I thought it was worthy of a mention.  I bought it because of the "8888" and because it happened to be 2 notes away from a 2-digit radar and only 5 notes away from a rotator.  This note was once it good company, I wonder where the radar and rotator are? :'(

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/Shiplaster688884.JPG}

FYI:  This was purchased at the travelling Antiques show now at Cloverdale Mall (427 & Dundas).  Accidently stumbled across the show while buying food.  They are there the first full week in March and November annually.  Two paper dealers, I've looked through everything, nothing too exciting.  Lots of china and silverware though.
JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 01:52:55 pm »

You brick hunters are very efficient and thorough.  I have not found anything in years.  Not radars, not repeaters, not low-number notes, you name it.  Good work.  ;)

Maybe when I DO finally find something, it will be a doozy, like that run of consecutive mismatched serials number $50 notes from another thread.
Your not alone! I always pay in cash for all my purchases but i never find anything either anymore. I was lucky on a few occasions though years back. I did find my EVH Missing BPN in change and i have also found a 1969 *WF $20, too bad it wasn't the scarcer *WL! I have always been lucky with the birds $20s, managed to find all the X replacements from the bank machine and also managed to find a bunch of AIWs (With serifs I) too and all other missing BPN prefixes.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 08:36:13 am »

.... I bought it because of the "8888" and because it happened to be 2 notes away from a 2-digit radar and only 5 notes away from a rotator.
I have often wondered whether or not "near miss" radars, "near miss" rotators, "near miss" ladders and the like have any premium value over regular number notes. My feeling has always been that "a miss is as good as a mile". It's like owning a lottery ticket that is just one number away from the winning prize. However, as true radars, true rotators and true ladders become scarcer and scarcer (on account of increased demand) then perhaps a lower-level market will develop for the "near misses".

Has anyone ever paid good money for a "near miss"?  :-/

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 09:03:33 am »

I don't think people would pay more for "near miss" numbers. Only if they are Fancy numbers like 7777776. But if its a number like 4987824. They will not pay more.

I was very close to a rotator last week. HPA 6968269  :'(
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 03:11:52 pm »

I have often wondered whether or not "near miss" radars, "near miss" rotators, "near miss" ladders and the like have any premium value over regular number notes. My feeling has always been that "a miss is as good as a mile".

I think your assessment is correct and that the near-miss # collecting is a recent phenomenon prompted more by online marketing (ie eBay and the like).

buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 06:53:06 pm »

I have often wondered whether or not "near miss" radars, "near miss" rotators, "near miss" ladders and the like have any premium value over regular number notes. My feeling has always been that "a miss is as good as a mile".

I think your assessment is correct and that the near-miss # collecting is a recent phenomenon prompted more by online marketing (ie eBay and the like).

And besides that would make it a near hit. Not a near miss. If it nearly missed, isn't that really a hit? :-?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 07:49:49 pm »

And besides that would make it a near hit. Not a near miss. If it nearly missed, isn't that really a hit?

I think its interesting that there is this young "budding market." And:  you're right-  a near hit like being one number off winning the "jackpot" (a fancy number, near radar), the Lotto 6/49 for those more exciting near solid/ladders I guess!  

Being near the "bulls-eye" is part of the appeal I'm sure.  There is another thread which has posted a $2 Birds # 5432101 which is almost like a descending ladder with an ascending "step."   I have to say that I find what people collect (or find interesting/appealing), is in itself interesting... There's many a forum member here who've I've talked this over with many a time.

CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 08:12:55 pm »

My feeling has always been that "a miss is as good as a mile". It's like owning a lottery ticket that is just one number away from the winning prize.

Has anyone ever paid good money for a "near miss"?  :-/

Ottawa, you are right, a miss is a miss.  Like the old saying: "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades".

Like I mentioned before, I only bought this note because of the "8888" and the fact it was a few notes    away from a radar and a rotator.  I paid book for the note, but had it been any other random serial number I would not have purchased the note.

If given the choice between a random and a fancy serial number (at the same price), I'd definitely take a fancy number.  I may even pay slightly more for a fancy number, but no where close to the premiums for radars, ladders or rotators.  A miss is just that, a miss.

I leave you now with some near misses near hits ( ;D) that have passed through my hands ..... sigh .....  :'( >:( :'(

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/NotQuiteRadars.JPG}
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:17:31 pm by CJ_Sidewall »
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 12:42:19 pm »

Found in a recent brick search.  Got so excited I neglected to save shoulder notes (near solids)  :'(

Note is now owned by a fellow CPMF member who could appreciate it more than I could.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:19:29 am by BWJM »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 01:29:31 pm »

I can attest to the note's beauty.   ;) ;D

Very rarely do you see solid radars in the $50 and $100 denomination in any condition, especially in UNC.  I have only seen one Journey $100 7777777 in VF-EF offered for sale once on the forum, and one well circulated 1975 $100 5555555 found by a fellow forum member.  I have never seen a solid $50 in any denomination (until now).

Login with username, password and session length