Author
Topic: 19th edition  (Read 8979 times)
JB-2007
« on: July 19, 2006, 08:14:20 pm »

It says that the charlton paper money catalogue 19th edition was released on july 14. Does anyone (besides BWJM) have it yet? I would like to know where in montreal i can obtain a copy. Usually the first store that gets it here is a coin/stamp store on ste-catherine/Papineau.
If you are from montreal please let me know if/when they will have it in stock and i will head over and pick one up.
Thank you.  ;)
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:53:20 pm »

I was in the coin shops in edmonton last weekend and they where sopposed to be out to the stores early this week my suggestion would be to phone your local coin store and ask them
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:11:31 pm »

unfortunately i do not have their phone number, so will wait and see if any montreal member has obtained a copy from them. I was referred to that store last year by some of the montreal members as they are usually the first place in montreal to get copies in.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 09:13:48 pm by JB105 »
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:31:25 pm »

The store your are looking for is Montreal Stamps & Coins:

1878 Ste-Catherine East
Montreal, QC H2K 2H5

Phone: (514) 527-1526

Philippe
JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 10:48:11 pm »

The store your are looking for is Montreal Stamps & Coins:

1878 Ste-Catherine East
Montreal, QC H2K 2H5

Phone: (514) 527-1526
yes, that is the place. Thank you
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 07:17:12 pm »

Just got my copy today  ;D  
Thanks Brent!!

CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 08:53:16 pm »

Just picked up a copy for myself from House of Stamps at Square One is Mississauga.  Lots of copies still available for anyone living in the GTA.
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:53:27 pm »

Doesn't charlton ship out all their orders at about the same time when book is released?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:20 am »

Those who had the book Xpressed to them should have received them today or tomorrow. The rest can pick them up from me at the CNA.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 03:55:11 pm »

The book is not available yet in montreal, that i know of. If anyone in montreal has gotten a copy please let me know where i can obtain a copy. I am very anxious to get my copy!  :D
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 05:09:56 pm »

The 19th edition is certainly the best yet.  

Most welcomed is the clarification on the Grade Description "Uncirculated."  A much more realistic description accomodates today's cheaper notes, and the ripples often seen on DF's, and other wet printed issues.  Personally, I'd like to see them adopt an even more stringent grading system...but its wonderful to see them move in the right direction.  

Also: it is very nice to see the elaborate coverage of change-overs & comments concerning new series. Some tables seem to be almost double in size.  It is exciting to see this new addition which verifies collectors' interests.

What's always interesting is to see which notes are the best "performers."  Some of the increases are staggering. I only wish I invested in some of the scarce 1954 $1.00 a couple years ago.  To see the *V/V shoot up by $2250 (to $8,250) or up by C/I $4000 (to $10,000) in only 2 editions just takes the breath away. I've only seen a *V/V auctioned once so I guess the BV is in keeping with its scarcity.  The *A/M that we have talked to death about here only clocked in at $575 but heh -- its going up in the right direction.  And the less than UNC values have gone up too. I found *!/O a bit of a surpriise.

I have nothing to complain about as the $10 Journeys continue to outstrip their Bird predecessors.  Although the real scarce notes (non insert and insert BEK, 2003 BER, BEL and BEP) faired well, they can hardly match reality once the ink dries on the catalogue!  
We see so few being sold on the bourses today.

The 2005 $10 series are hot too.  My only quibble would be the $10 FEV which I believe time will prove it to be a short prefix and more desirable/scarcer than the FER.  It is 2006 (FEV were printed in 2004) and the way the BOC orders batches of notes, with the CBN presently idle, I doubt we'll see that prefix resumed.

I'm sure there'll be more than a few collectors out there rubbing their hands with glee!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:24:38 pm by walktothewater »

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 07:13:59 pm »

I am suprised you did not mention th *N/Y increased by at least 4 times across the board with the UNC giong for 1200 from 300 in the previous book my EF+ jumped very nicely
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

even the VG went from 7 to 50
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 09:26:06 pm »

Yes -- good observation steve -- *N/Y does show the all time biggest gain (in 2 years).  You must be very happy with your EF+ note.  I guess I'll have to wait a while to see my *A/M perform.  I never see them at bourses but do see them auctioned.  It makes me wonder if the fact that they can be found in sequence-- holds their value down.

When looking at the cross the board jumps in the 1954 $1.00 it just goes to show how many collectors prefer collecting the lower denominations.

I guess I'm still trying to take it all in (the big table and all) -- and looking forward to posts like yours!  

There's so much to discern in this new book.  Can't possibly scratch the surface in even a few posts.  This will take some time.. Looking forward to what others have noted...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:27:49 pm by walktothewater »

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 04:50:28 am »

The rise in the value of *N/Y $1 notes is pretty dramatic.

Well, I must say there were many flags going up that this was going to happen. :o

So I invested in an UNC note. I didn't think it would jump quite that high in 1 edition. I figured a couple years to see it in the book.

It's nice to see that some wrinkles in the back-of-the-book section have been ironed out.

I Agree. More defined and organized. Very nice to see. REALLY NICE to see the Rotators defined. What about Repeaters & Binary Notes now???

Over all the book has moved in the right direction. Keep up the good work!  8-)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:51:30 am by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!

Login with username, password and session length