Author
Topic: Canadian money in the movies  (Read 5196 times)
Sonicwolf
« on: August 12, 2006, 10:23:37 pm »

Does anyone know of any good examples where Older canadian money is visibley used in movies? I have  only seen 2 good examples
1: In Superman II, When acting like Clark kent, Superman gives one of the Honeymoon hotels attendants a '73 1 Dollar bill as a tip
2: X-MEN 1 : One of the bills given to wolverine at the bar near the begining was a Birds 2$.
Thats about all I can think of
Bob
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:38:26 pm »

I know I've seen Canadian Bank of Commerce 1917 $5's in a movie, but cannot remember what it was. >:(  (I have a better memory for notes than for movies, or practically anything else for that matter.)
There is also specially printed stuff that looks like money, that was printed for use in movies.  Also there is "stage money", much the same idea.  This is one of the more far-out areas of paper money collecting, that could do with some research.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:44:06 pm »

We see a lot of Canadian bills in French Canadian movies.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:34:03 am »

In X-Men, when Wolverine is introduced in the bar fight scene, you can see a birds 5er in the tip jar

Also, there is a movie...If I remember correctly...called "The Silent Partner" with Elliott Gould.  I think it was made in the 70s...he plays a bank robber/embezzler and you can see nice shots of multicoloured notes as he steals them from the bank

3...There's a movie which I think is called "3 Card Monte" another movie from the 70's...where a kid runs away and teams up with this con man to scam people out of money by playing this game.  Nice shots of multicoloured notes here too...

I remember seeing this stuff on cable tv on Showcase or Bravo a few years ago...They seem to show low budget or obscure titles.

Oh...here, I Googled the titles and found these...
Links...
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D14518++&mscssid=AS0GPSTTWUBB9GS60W6BC0QRXMR63PN8
Copy and paste this link into a new browser...

This link works fine...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078269/

Hope this helps,
Dean
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 12:40:35 am by Dean »

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:33:44 am »

There is a episode in the serie "Star Trek" Deep Space 9 where a character says he has a canadian loonie and this lucky coin belongs to his family since more than 2 centuries.  

Remember that this serie take action during 24th century (around 2374)...But we don't see the coin and have no idea of which date is the coin...

frankie
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 03:33:57 pm »

well i have one from jan 2nd. 1900-very good condition - its a 25 cent paper form, and would wish to find all pics from that date and would like to know the value of the note this year, and possibly find a buyer
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 03:57:16 pm »

Not exactly a movie, but there was a teen TV show in the 1980s called Degrassi Jr. High. it was made in Toronto and shown on CBC, and on public TV in the US, UK, Australia, and in other countries.  There was a scene of one boy giving another some money and it was clearly Birds series notes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:13:28 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 04:17:39 pm »

I remember that episode, I grew up with that show!
Rusty
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 05:14:42 pm »

........well, not in the movies, but on the cover of an old paperback book ( 1952 ), that has nothing to do with numismatics.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 05:15:57 pm »

Me too, I was in junior high when the show was on.  You got stuck on the characters.  It was basically a soap opera that was relevant to teens.  It was a cool thing in junior high to bash the show, but I think that  even the people who claimed to hate it watched it too.

I always remembered the scene of the Canadian cash being shown, and I thought it was so cool that teens around the world were seeing it too.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
gendis
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 12:07:58 am »

In The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (1974) there's a memorable scene where Duddy Kravetz, played by Richard Dreyfuss, is given half of a large denomination Canadian note - a blue $100 Chartered? - that is torn in half on screen.  There are also some highly collectible notes that may only appear offscreen in a later movie - Joshua Then and Now.

Login with username, password and session length