Author
Topic: 2004 $5 number 1,2,3,4,5  (Read 8411 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:36:54 pm »

Hey I was wondering what this set would be worth I have not seen anything like it on ebay in years ???? I know what the book says but I would think more??? they are all UNC

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Member 1564
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 02:49:16 pm »

I know what the book says but I would think more???

If you know what the book says than why are you posting this, and asking for opinions? Why do you think the notes should suddenly be worth more? There's no logic to this at all.

All catalogues and guides were originally intended to give an indicator of how much a collector might pay if they really wanted a particular item.  Unfortunately, most dealers immediately ticket their notes with the value stated in the book.  I suppose this practice is done because they figure most collectors are going to  negotiate a price, but it is unfortunate because a lot of people out there figure their note is automatically worth "book value."  Unless a truly spectacular (rare/popular) note, or one which is highly desired by many collectors, the book value should only be considered a guide or ballpark figure.  

Although the notes in the scan are indeed nice, and collectible, I doubt they'd be worth more than book.  If you are to sell them as a set, they may even get less, contrary to what many people think.

Mikeysonfire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:27:14 pm »

Very nice notes you have there. You thinking of selling them?
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:59:02 pm »

Not really I have had some GREAT offers but I just cant bring my self to do it. Knowing I would not beable to get a new set at the price I paid for them I got great deal Under $100   :P one of the happiest day of my life. ;D

CPMS Member 1564
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 05:43:29 pm »

WOW!!! What a deal you got there!!! The guy that sold them to you must not know anything about paper money.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 07:04:29 pm »

Very nice set Archey

I would say that book is a very good indication of where the current price should be. There is always a 10-15 % give on these values as they list the average. If you see many people fighting for this set than you have every reason to think that the value should be higher. Use your judgment and take the highest offer. Every collector has an exit price for the notes in their collection and this usually means a premium to book. If your patient, put your price on the notes and wait for a buyer to approach you.

Just a hint: don’t reveal your paid price to buyers and they may become less interested to give you your premium if they know you got such a fantastic deal.

KC's Canadian Currency
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:19:06 pm »

Ture, but I think Archey wants to keep them.   :P
gendis
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 02:02:14 am »

I am more interested in the provenance of these notes rather than their value.  At one time it was very helpful to have a girlfriend who worked at a bank.  Now it appears that most of the collectible serial numbers, etc. are obtained from the guys with guns who work for the armoured car companies.  How were these notes originally acquired?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:02:59 am by gendis »

Login with username, password and session length