Author
Topic: What did you get for yours?  (Read 35470 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2006, 08:12:17 pm »

Yep,shoulda' K'd when I T'd.

BEK5555555

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 04:55:26 am »

BEK5555555

That is a REALLY nice note!!!! Congrats!  8-)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 06:53:28 pm »

Holy poop!  Just bought what the seller describes as  Unc Coyne Towers 1937 $20.00 for Buy It Now $112.00cnd

Here's part of the description on e-bay:"I believe the note will grade a conservative, crisp choice uncirculated condition, mint state-63/64."

I looooooooooooooove the summer months!

Just received the note today,great packaging ,came from Lincoln NE in great shape,the note is totally original,lots of embossing ect...

Imagine my surprise when the post office tells me I owe $20.00 in Customs fees! >:( :-?
So almost 20% in fees for the declared value!! :o
Sure I received a great deal but it was diminished by 20%,thanks GOC.
As I am not in the habit of buying notes from US dealers this was quite a surprise.With the Heritage Auction coming up,Canadian bidders need to be aware of these additional fees/costs that will need to be added to the final buy price.
With a lot of rarer notes up for sale at this particular auction those fees could be substantial.
Sure gives me pause when i had the desire to bid on a few rarer notes,worth over $10,000 each.Jeez,the customs fees could be in the thousands! >:( >:( >:(  Thanks again GOC!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 06:57:32 pm by twoinvallarta »

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 08:00:03 pm »

Just have the notes sent by regular mail. Only slightly risky but if it's regular mail, no one thinks there's anything special in the envelope, including customs folk... I've never had anything lost (knock on woody head) and saved plenty
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006, 01:14:25 am »

The 1937 $ 1 W/N I posted in this thread came from California. I never had to pay anything. I guess the seller declared it.
buxvet
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 01:19:01 am »

$ 20 Devil Face Beattie Coyne B/E type
A nice Ebay deal. $ 170 USD

One very small counting flick
Super embossing
So what does this make it UNC63

[attachment deleted by admin]
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2006, 11:16:42 am »

Imagine my surprise when the post office tells me I owe $20.00 in Customs fees!

I'm surprised you are surprised.  

The 1937 $ 1 W/N I posted in this thread came from California. I never had to pay anything. I guess the seller declared it.

NOT necessarily.  Its just luck of the draw.  I bought a $5 DF and had it sent regular postage (from a collector/Dealer-- but not identified) and paid no duties, but then bought a 1917 $1 from a dealer which was put into a small parcel and sent special delivery.  The problem was that it took about a month (or more) for the DF to arrive and I swore I wasn't going to go through a long spell of chewing my nails to see if my note was going to make it or not.  So I bit the bullet and paid the extra for postage-- and then yes got stung with custom fees.  It was $15 or more and made my note more than book.  I think its the last note I bought from the states.  I generally do not bid on auctions from the US and it drives me crazy because I know that a lot of Canadian eBayers are also turned off, and there can be some genuine great deals, due to the higher risk factor/duty turn off.

The same for my brother's "Cornered" cartoon books .  His books are printed in the US and I'll usually order about 10 for Xmas gifts.  Sometimes I'll get charged duties, other times, they arrive with none.  When duties are applied its just like paying what you pay at a store.  If no duties than you get a good break on the bulk order.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:20:11 am by walktothewater »

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2006, 02:14:07 pm »

walktothewater
I'm surprised you are surprised.

:-? I made it very clear when i  stated " As I am not in the habit of buying notes from US dealers this was quite a surprise."

You're surprised I'm surprised i was charged 20% duties on a $100.00 purchase? Now I'm surprised.

The point of the post was to let unaware collectors know they may be in for quite a shock once they add in all fees paid for a note from US dealers.Especially with higher priced notes,many rare notes are for sale with the Heritage Auction taking place.This can add significant percentages to final costs.

Secondary to the above,was to stimulate responses in ways which are legal and could avoid such charges,if there are any.

I'm surprised you are surprised

What am i missing with that response?

alvin5454

Just have the notes sent by regular mail. Only slightly risky but if it's regular mail, no one thinks there's anything special in the envelope, including customs folk... I've never had anything lost (knock on woody head) and saved plenty

That seems like a great idea for notes of lesser value.Any ideas on notes over  $1000 cnd? If percentages stay the same we would be looking at approx. $200 in duties ?Ouch!

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2006, 03:07:38 pm »

I do it with high-value notes, too. Same principles apply....
Bob
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2006, 03:09:42 pm »

I'm not surprised.  If I recall correctly Customs will bill you the same GST and PST you would pay in Canada plus a $5 service charge.  What service? - calculating the tax, of course.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
gendis
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2006, 07:24:53 pm »

purchased a BC-53aA in "gem unc" at a show in Winnipeg - 31001696674. i wish i could report that i obtained a susbtantial discount from the current (19th ed.) trends.  i paid $450.  
buxvet
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 07:18:57 pm »

I like this thread, it interesting to see what people are buying and the prices realized. Hence I will contribute some recent purchases. Allfrom scowering EBay

BC-30b - I/B Prefix

Can't find too much wrong with this note. AU-UNC except it's not ripply like the Devil's usually are. I doubt it's been "pressed" in a bad way. Maybe kept in a book under heavy weight.
Paid $ 120
Book $ 180AU-$350UNC

buxvet
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 07:21:48 pm »

Another short prefix Devil

BC-33b - E/E Prefix

Was supposed to be EF-AU, but it is a pressed EF

Paid $ 120
Book $ 90

:-?

buxvet
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:38 pm »

This is my first replacement from this issue

BC-48aA

One corner with a teeny bend very close to the edge. Maybe about 2MM long
Otherwise UNC. So I guess in the new way UNC 60-63

Paid $ 135
Book $ 175

Mikeysonfire
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 07:28:09 pm »

Another short prefix Devil

BC-33b - E/E Prefix

Was supposed to be EF-AU, but it is a pressed EF

Paid $ 120
Book $ 90

Looks AU to me.  :-/ Lets hope they go up in value so you dont lose money.

Login with username, password and session length