Author
Topic: packets  (Read 7492 times)
jr
« on: August 30, 2006, 12:32:25 am »

I have found some of these $100 packs of money,each new and uncirculated bunch has 3 1979 twenties,and four 71 tens,when you take them out of the wrapper,every note has the same first digit and last two digits,see scan.
Are these worth more in packs than the book price for unc notes ?
Why are the serial numbers like this,every pack is different,but the first digit and last two digits of each note is the same in each pack,even tho the denominations are different.    
jr
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:11:28 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:31:00 am »

Now I understand what you were talking about... I thought that was what you meant, but I wasn't at all sure.

The notes would have their individual values, but as a group, I don't see much likelihood of a premium.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:43:51 pm »

Does anyone know:
Are these printed on sheets with numbers 500 apart so they stack up as 500 sheets before they are cut so two adjacent stacks make a brick. Did the $10's all come from one sheet?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:36:24 pm »

As far as is generally known, all multicoloured notes were printed 40/on, skip-numbered by 500.

So yes, these notes were from the same sheets. The bank (in this case Royal Bank) would have received a few consecutive bricks and split them right down the middle. Then they just picked one note from the top of each of 7 500-note piles, bound them together, and then did the same for the next 7-note pack. The result would be 500 7-note packs, each containing 5 notes that have the same last two digits. An interesting set would be one with 5100 or *VA (?) notes. ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 09:07:57 am »

I have a feeling that an item like this would be worth a definite premium over the value of the single notes as there is so much interest in special and curious serial numbers these days. Also, the overall package constitutes a nice item of banking history. Undoubtedly an item for eBay!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:08:52 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:09:34 pm »

I was beginning to think that the pack illustrated at the top of this thread might have been kept by its original owner because of the "Lucky 7" serial numbers. However, if a total of 12 packs were put aside at the time then that was evidently not the reason. All in all, however, this is quite a remarkable "survival". The packs containing 1954 notes may be even more interesting, at least if the notes are uncirculated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 01:13:15 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length