Author
Topic: Is this a real error?  (Read 4624 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: September 02, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

Not very experienced in errors but this looks wrong for a true printing mistake but....Currently listed on e-bay,I wonder if it's worth $400 in EF if it's a true error.
The front of this note looks perfectly normal.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 08:23:53 pm by twoinvallarta »

Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 08:40:52 pm »

It could be, but again to be sure, I would have to see the note in hand.  It could have been caused by a scrap peice paper on the sheet with this note.   However, the piece of scrap would have had to stay on the sheet for the entire trip, for it looks like the note is missing all the layers or applications of ink in the affected area.  What would be really neat would be to have the scrap pieces which would have the missing print on.  

Tom
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:05:23 pm »

Well I am the high bidder but i dont think it will sell i think he wants to much  :'(

CPMS Member 1564
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:29:57 am »

If you look carefully, you will see the central codebar is half-missing, but the serial number is complete and is over the lower part of the blank area. Therefore, the theory of a stuck piece of paper through almost all of the printing stages holds.  So the piece could have been there until the codebar printing stage, then fall off just before the printing of the serial number.  I think the error is genuine...

Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 10:34:30 am »

If my memory serves me correctly, the code bars are the first to be applied before anything else and the serial numbers last.

Tom
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:12:38 pm »

Why is there a faint image of the queen's portrait within that block of missing ink? Is that the queen's image showing through from the front side? The way the left sided serial number appears unaffected (it must have been printed first) is also strange. If this is a bona-fide error, it certainly is one of the strangest ones I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 12:16:17 pm by walktothewater »

Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 12:26:12 pm »

The queen shows through from the other side, just like you can see writing on a white sheet of paper, on the other side.  There also could be slight ink transfer from the neibouring note.

Tom
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 11:12:49 pm »

Selling at $400  :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

CPMS Member 1564
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:35 am »

The market is the market  Archey80.Looks like it will go higher.

Question is-what would you sell it for if you paid $400 as the buyer states he did.I know what I'd be asking. ;D

Login with username, password and session length