Author
Topic: BET vs FEV  (Read 5313 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:55:41 am »

Has anyone noticed that no FEV's have been made since the conclusion of the insert range?

The question I ask then is this:

Why does the FEV price not rival the BET?  Their numbers are nearly the same, plus FEV's were not available in bundle/brick form.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 04:56:38 am by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
5150guy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 05:23:05 am »

You can be pretty sure that there will eventually be a premium on 2004 FEV, since so few have been released. I have one in the 800000 range in AU that I got by chance from the bank last year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rest of the prefix shows up with another printing year when we see more CBN tens.
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:22:04 am »

Thank you Hudson.  :)

I asked this very question July 10th.  My way of thinking says the FEV would be the scarcer note. I noticed that a FEV sold on ebay last night for 125.00 US. It looks like others may think this way too.

My opinion, Scott
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:22:53 am by only4teeth »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:19:42 pm »

As Bob likes to point out when questions like this arise, it is not just original quantity printed that matters. It matters most how available a note presently is, and what the demand for it is. A changeover that had 4,000,000 notes printed but is tough today is worth more than a replacement that had 200,000 printed but is readily available.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 02:47:44 pm »

The FEV will definitely be getting a second look from a lot of collectors soon I'm sure.  I will be quite surprised to see  the FEV prefix revived by CBN if (or when) they take up printing the $10 again (but it could happen).  Its interesting that you compare the two: BET being the last prefix of the Journey (2004), and FEV being the last prerix/insert by the CBN for 2004. As far as I can tell, the BET, from the old original Journey series, will likely command the higher premium in the book (though this could change too). I haven't seen too many consecutive BET's but more consecutive FEV's.

I'm a bit surprised the FEV from eBay went for $125.  I thought quite a few collectors had them. That seems better than I would have predicted.  I would have expected the FEV (@$30) to be higher than the FER insert (@ $40) though.  What I think that auction reflects is a couple new collectors waiting for that note & then battling it out.  

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 05:16:20 pm »

I will be quite surprised to see  the FEV prefix revived by CBN if (or when) they take up printing the $10 again (but it could happen).
Why wouldn't this happen? The only reason CBN would have to not continue this prefix is if they started a new series. Otherwise, they pick up from where they left off, even mid-prefix.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 05:52:28 pm »

If they picked up the prefix, even in this series, it would have a new year on it, so it would be a changeover anyways.

I am surprised abit at the FEV price myself too.

Also, The BET's are just as readily availabe as the FEV's.  Also then, why do the HOH low get such a premium.  There have been multiple bricks found.  Comparing HOH low to FEV when talking about availability might be a better idea.  

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 08:58:45 pm »

"I will be quite surprised to see the FEV prefix revived by CBN if (or when) they take up printing the $10 again (but it could happen)."
Why wouldn't this happen? The only reason CBN would have to not continue this prefix is if they started a new series. Otherwise, they pick up from where they left off, even mid-prefix.

I don't know.. its just a gut feeling... and look at FDY, FEN, and I think we'll be into 2006 notes by the time  (or should I say if) they (CBN) start printing $10's again.  Mind you there could be some 2005 stockpiled in a warehouse somewhere...but I'll be surprised to see it.  We seldom see a 2 year jump in a single prefix (ie: going from 2004 to 2006).  

Also then, why do the HOH low get such a premium.  There have been multiple bricks found
Were there multiple bricks of 2004 HOH?  I did not know that. I have not seen any low HOH for sale (or auction) for some time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:02:22 pm by walktothewater »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:06:33 pm »

So the FEV sold for $125 US

and a BET sold for $150 CDN

It looks as if each note is more than holding its own and defying Charlton by a long shot.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 01:15:33 am »

There is a prominent brick searcher who pulled a couple of nice looking radars from some low HOH bricks.  I dont know what the available numbers of them are.

Login with username, password and session length