Author
Topic: Fake $10 from the birds series  (Read 5244 times)
cHoNg
« on: September 22, 2006, 12:53:47 pm »

I came across this $10 last night working grave yeard. The paper felt odd at first touch, then on a quick check for any type of Intaglio printing with the pass of my thumb on the front face of the bill around the big 10 felt ridged so I took the bill since it came from a trust worthy customer. After closer examination of the bill I did a water test and it failed horribly. I was also under the impression that the flag was the american flag when It was pointed out to me by another customer before I did the water test on the bill. Then I found the explanation on this website when I got home, which makes sence now since the crest is only a dot and the flag is towards the right!

To make things even better, I left the bill on my desk, went to bed... and my room mate spent it with the ink run... haha! He noticed the bill was odd but dint think nothing of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:25:47 pm by cHoNg »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:48 pm »

The serial number of this particular note seems to fit the $10 Bird Series note that you have.   If the mirco printing of the note is readable (for example the wavy lines in the behind Sir John A. MacDonald's portrait which are small tens (10) ), and if you can feel the raised printing, in my opinion then, it would be a legitimate note albeit, a really circulated note.   But, I guess there's no way to determine that now.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
cHoNg
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:48:19 pm »

The only microprinting I saw was the Omni something in the waves with a number 2 (or so it seemed) to the far left of it, unfortunately this was the only back pic I took. On another note the green dots did not seem to want to come of at all (but not unseen, i had a hell of time once a legit $20), I could almost see a scratch from my finger nail after (looked like I scratched off some ink). the paper dint feel right, but I'm also in my 20's so the birds series aint something I'm used to. The raised ink was only an illusion from the wear of the bill I think since on closer examination with my nail it felt smooth.

[attachment deleted by admin]
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:25:39 pm »

On authentic notes, the ink does not run when wet as seen in the first photo. With great confidence, that alone indicates that the note is counterfeit.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:48:00 pm »

BWJM's the expert, but the photo of MacDonald's blurry round pate (from the water damage) gives this note's illegitmacy away at once.

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 03:09:07 am »

I remember getting my first counterfeit bill in my change from a local Safeway grocer. It too was a $10 bird series about 1997 I remembered it felt odd as like the note had been in a washing machine. The paper felt too 'heavy', the print dull and didn't feel raised. I've accidently washed a note or two in my life but even that this still did not feel right so I took it accross the street to my bank and under thier examination it was determined as exactly that, a counterfeit. (The manager rubbed the ink off) As expected they questioned me and I told them where I got it and which till I got it from.  It is illegal to possess a canadian counterfeit but not a US one. They confiscated the note and I was out ten bucks. Never did get the call from the RCMP.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length