Author
Topic: Archey80 - Error $20 Journey Series  (Read 8275 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: September 23, 2006, 02:41:18 am »

Hello Archey80,

Noticed your auction on eBay for your note.  Quite an interesting note.   Looks like someone at the printing company didn't notice the fold over of the note and, voila!... the note you have.  Very nice.  Your starting bid certainly will draw a lot of attention.   ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Smile from your heart.  ;D
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 02:41:42 am »

... and the awesome back side...

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 11:58:59 am »

WOW!  :o Never seen anything like that. Its crazy that an error like that would get into circulation.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:53:25 pm »

A very nice note indeed.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:58:45 pm »

Is that the note that  a "newbie" on what's it worth was asking about recently?  

If so, I met the banker who had a customer come into the branch (in Burlington) and complain that the note wasn't right, and asked for a new one.  He gave the customer a new note and kept the error and gave it to his wife who sought out this forum to find out its value.  This story is a little annoying for me, because, this paritcular teller made a big deal out of my large withdrawals and brick searching.  He asked me what I was doing and I told him that I was a paper money collector.  I told him about special numbers, inserts, and errors.  That's why he told me about the error he found.

If that's not the note, than the note they discovered is very close to it.

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 01:03:35 am »

Yes it is a very nice error but have not had a good offer yet  :'(  Maybe people are waiting? :-/  or most people are not in the market for error notes? ::)

CPMS Member 1564
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 01:09:57 am »

In other words, you've had offers, but none of which are sufficient enough to make you decide to sell...?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 01:20:36 am »

Yes it is a very nice error but have not had a good offer yet  cry  Maybe people are waiting? undecided  or most people are not in the market for error notes? Roll Eyes

There is no catalogue for error notes, so the value of an error note is purely limited to what one is willing to pay.  

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 01:29:47 am »

Ya your right BWJM I have had a offer where I would be making money but I really only put it on to see where people sit with it. So what I need to do is find a buyer whos wants it for a half mill  ;D ;D  JK

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 10:48:11 pm »

Hey what happened to the note? Did the note just disappear from the auction or did somebody actually slap down half a mil for it? This inquiring mind would like to know.
I finally got a copy of the 19th ed today and looked up printing error. Wow this looks like quite a spectaclur error and I could only wonder how it got past qualitity assurace.  The closest category I could see is P367 on the guide is E1-iv and since this is both sides I would guess at least double the figure quoted. If I only won the lottery, hee hee.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 12:52:36 pm »

Here are some better scans of the note I didnt have it in my hand when I listed on ebay and the note is still for sale Thanks Arthur

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:52:47 pm by Archey80 »

CPMS Member 1564
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 12:53:47 pm »

and the front

CPMS Member 1564
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 09:08:27 pm »

It's worth absolutely nothing. I'll give you $20 -- OK, $25 to cover the gas too -- for your troubles. ::)

Alright, I'm kidding... The other guys are correct, assuming the note is in really good condition, you are looking at a note of substantial value worth well in excess of what I offered above.

Why I am Quoting this is I was just wondering what you think "worth well in excess of what is Offered above" what is well in excess just a estimate from you and any other members think its worth then I will state what I paid.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 09:58:35 pm »

Hey Arthur, where have you gone?  I went on eBay to take a look at this $20 but it says that "archey80" is no longer a registered user.  The last thing I could find under this eBay ID is an item that was sold on September 24. [smiley=undecided.gif]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:59:37 pm by venga50 »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 11:12:37 am »

You may have gotten a better deal than what you think :)
Have a look at this (if this price is accurate)  (Buy-it-now: USD$10,500)

[edit]Removed eBay link. Added images and Buy-it-now price. --BWJM.[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 03:41:38 pm by BWJM »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 11:05:17 am »

Any US error, be it coins or banknotes, fetch up to 10 times what the same error would on Canadian coins or bank notes.  There are just more US collectors out there.

Tom

Login with username, password and session length