Author
Topic: UNC$50 mismatch serial 9 bill series +PHOTOS  (Read 17013 times)
seank
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:14:44 am »

Hi Folks, I found your forum today and am hoping that you can give me a realistic idea of just how collectible these bills are.

I will have photos hopefully later today and will post accordingly.

The details

100% UNCIRCULATED 9 bill consecutive series of 2004 Canadian $50 bills
2 digit mismatch from left side to right side on the first six bills
Bill #7 has a printing error on the third-from-last digit (only the top of the digit is visible, at the bottom of the line)
Bills 8, 9 and 10 are 3 digit serial errors as a consequence of the Bill #7 issue

Bill #10 is not in series, but it is two digits higher than the preceeding bill.

I know I should wait until I have the images so you can see what i'm talking about - but i'm wondering if this is even worth my time making up a mini webpage to accomodate the photos of the bills.

Should I bother?  Are these as rare as my few hours of searching say they are?    Current book value says at least $500 per bill, but i'm assuming that the series is something of a rarity.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.  Any reference links would be greatly appreciated.

thanks folks,

Sean K

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:32:44 am by seank »
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:20:02 am »

Hey

Must be a great set someone on this site had one $50 6 digits were missmatched he wanted $600 but it didnt sell. I would think that as a set would sell for around $2000 maybe a little more but I think you would make more selling them 1 by 1 people might pay 300-400 a note where as a set I dont see someone paying 2700-3600 but thats just me. Cant wait for you to post a picture

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 11:28:10 am »

Yes. Please post the pictures. I would also love to see them. Not everyday you can see errors in order.
seank
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:14:16 am »

I've finally got the images.  Please enjoy!  

Just to be clear, I got these straight from a CIBC ATM in St. Catharines, Ontario on Friday the 22nd.  I've tried to supply high enough res photos and a snap of the watermark in action to show authenticity.

{http://www.spk.ca/money/images/thumb_fullseries_nonoverlap.jpg}
hi-res image, 1.7MB, .jpg

{http://www.spk.ca/money/images/thumb_just_serials.jpg}
larger image, 36KB, .jpg

{http://www.spk.ca/money/images/thumb_fullseries_overlap.jpg}
extra large image, hi-res showing detail 4.8MB, .jpg

{http://www.spk.ca/money/images/thumb_detail_misfire_digit.jpg}
hi-res showing detail of bad digit, 1.9MB, .jpg

{http://www.spk.ca/money/images/thumb_watermark.jpg}
larger image, 427KB, .jpg

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:35:05 am by seank »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:18:11 am »

OH MY GOODNESS THOSE ARE AMAZING!!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:42:49 am »

Very nice find!!!  :o :o  Everyone dreams of getting that kind of error for face value!  :P
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 01:01:04 pm »

Yes very nice are you sell? ;)

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
seank
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 01:05:38 pm »

Hi Arthur,

Absolutely!  I'm definitely interested in selling.   Apparently there's a currency show in Oakville, Ontario this coming weekend so I think I'll probably bring them there to generate some interest.

Where would one go to find a collector who would be interested in a set like this?  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:05:52 pm by seank »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 01:09:16 pm »

Wow!  Nice notes - you can see that there's also a missing digit in one of those notes.  Looks like the wheel alignment went wonky and the "9" spun around to blank and then to "0".  

These will surely command a premium.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:21:10 pm »

Hey I am not sure about  a show in Oakville this weekend I live in Toronto. If you do sell there make sure you let us know how much you got for them thanks Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
seank
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 01:31:13 pm »

I'm in the GTA as well.   My friend knows a guy who's trying to make a business out of currency dealing in Niagara Falls who told him about the upcoming show.   I'll dig a little deeper to see what he's talking about.

Absolutely i'll be more than happy to let you know what they sell for - if they do!    I need to call a "Richard Branson" of currency collecting, I think. ;)

thanks for the encouragement
s
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 01:33:31 pm »

I am sure you will find a buyer at any show there is a show in Toronto at the end of October if not many people on this site might be into buying them or you could try your luck on ebay

Arthur
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:10:13 pm by Archey80 »

CPMS Member 1564
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 03:08:45 pm »

Lets hope you don't have to sell them on ebay. Then you will have to pay all those fees.  >:(  I think you should find buyers for those notes easy. Their errors that everyone would love own.  
seank
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 03:26:42 pm »

Well the current plan is to put them on Ebay with a fairly high reserve price and test the waters.  

Can anyone speculate about "just how rare" a series like this is?   I can't find any examples of this type of find online anywhere, but I'll bow to your experience and maybe someone here can point me to a similar find.

I'm thinking that an enthusiastic collector is the buyer that I'm after - someone who wants the bragging rights for his/her collection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Sean

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 07:28:07 pm »

Well the only set Something like this was 3 1988 $100's 3 Digits were missmatched and I think they sold over ebay for 2000$ now I could be off on that number dose anyone remeber? Also there are 2 1988 $100's on ebay now with the same error with 2 digits missmatched in a big auction with a estimate of 4500-5500$.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:28:37 pm by Archey80 »

CPMS Member 1564
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 07:30:19 pm »

Good luck with the 'bay.  As far as braggin rights:
Check out my website--- at the very bottom I have a couple of nice things like yours (AZN)...  but not as nice as yours... but still nice in their own respect. :)  I finally have the scans up.

(You can get it from my profile)

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 07:41:10 pm »

Got to love that Radar Hudson

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
seank
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 09:28:20 pm »

WOW those are pretty sweet looking $100's - interesting that they're like mine, but different enough that they seem even "rarer"!

I think the auction that those bills are being sold in is the event next weekend that I heard about in Oakville.  See http://www.cpnum.qc.ca/ for more details.  I doubt that's the place to go shopping around new bills, but maybe it is?   I imagine that it's quite impolite to bring your own merchandise to someone else's auction, but maybe the C&P folks would appraise them for me if i brought them along?  

Where could I get something like these appraised, and while I'm asking questions - how would you folks go about selling a collection like this?  Would you go to a third party auctioneer like this event in Oakville or.. I can't think of anything else.

I checked the ebay fee structure and yup, it's going to be somewhat expensive (around $500) to sell these there - especially if they get a price like the $100's above!   I can hardly imagine that a set like this is worth so much, but if 2 bills are worth $5K then what about 9 bills???   $20K?  Can't be.  (can it?)

Thanks folks

sean

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 09:35:54 pm »

No I would not think that they would sell for that, that is there auction estimate I dont see them getting that much. I dont think your set is worth over $4000 but that just me anyone want to contribute there thoughts??

CPMS Member 1564
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 10:27:50 pm »

I would hate to see that set being broken up.  But maybe if you sold them in pairs, then collectors can obtain them for a reasonable price vs. selling the entire set together.  Not every collector has thousands of dollars to hold in a complete set of errors.   I also don't believe that your notes will go for over $5000 in one shot for the complete set.  You may get $5,000 by breaking them up.   Just my opinion...

seank
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 10:36:51 pm »

That seems to be the thought of the day, and we kind of figured that was what we'd have to do.  But you're right it would really be a shame to break these up.  

I'll take some time to ask around for any interest but yeah, not many folks want to sink that kind of money into a collection - at least not all in one shot!  Pairs is a great idea too, thanks.

I appreciate all the help I found here - glad to see there are some nice forums left.   I only have one last question - what's the standard way to describe bills like these to a collector?

Regards,
sean

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 10:54:17 pm »

"Mismatched Serial Number Set - $50 Journey Series"

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 10:56:04 pm »

Mismatched serial numbers

I agree with selling them in pairs I would be down for a set.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 11:10:34 pm »

Hi seank.
I'm interested in the whole set.Please email me at  romijo@shaw.ca.
Thank you.

Btw,I sold a set of 3,  2 digit error 1988 $100's  Unc several months ago on ebay.Tried to post but they wouldnt :-[
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:12:26 pm by twoinvallarta »

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 11:17:59 pm »

Why does it say Ex Member beside seank's name?

seank
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 11:20:57 pm »

that's an excellent question. I've been wondering that myself!
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 11:24:38 pm »

I've noticed it on new members. Give it a day or two:)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 11:24:51 pm »

Hi seank
Thought perhaps you had cancelled after you had questions answered.
I'm serious about buying the whole set from you.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 12:01:52 am »

I was just wondering - these notes are printed on a sheet of 40.  Wouldn't that mean that there are other similar notes possibly circulating?  ie. 9 x 40 sheets? = minimum 360 notes floating around somewhere?

seank
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 12:06:19 am »

and I'm wondering how I could have possibly "lost" a bill in the series?  how would that happen?  I did get other $50's during the two consecutive withdrawals and they were completely different than these.  

What happened to the lost bill?

an excellent point on the full sheet being mismatched - I can only guess that if they "caught" some of the bills, it stands to reason that they would have caught them all.   SO, they're all out there somewhere!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:07:47 am by seank »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:54 am »

I was just wondering - these notes are printed on a sheet of 40.  Wouldn't that mean that there are other similar notes possibly circulating?  ie. 9 x 40 sheets? = minimum 360 notes floating around somewhere?
Not necessarily. Remember that this is an issue with the numbering, and there are 40 (or 36 or 45) numbering machines per sheet. So, I would suggest that the error would be produced in a vertical stack (like a run in a brick), but that it would be unlikely to affect other positions in the ream.

Perhaps Tom could offer another more knowledgable opinion?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 01:02:12 am »

Hi, I know my name is not Tom ;) but,
Brent is right. This has to do with the rotation of the tumblers.  The tumbler that occupied this position obviously had a problem.   The other positions would not be affected.  If it were an Ink misalignment for example, then the whole sheet would be affected.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:02:39 am by hudsonab »

Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 01:16:06 am »

Correct, the error would be at the same position on each sheet, then consecutive in each stack or bundle.

Tom

Login with username, password and session length