Author
Topic: Info for those who sell to the USA  (Read 5822 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:45:48 am »

Hi all, this is more like a helpful image than any info.  Some of us have US based buyers and still at times get those pesky green money orders.  
I made this image here (54kb), anyone please feel free to use it on your sales on ebay or private site or wherever.  

Link it to your site from here:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/ebaycoin1/USPMO2.JPG

Or just copy it and add it into your own auctions, what ever works best for you.
Hope this can help in some way.

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:19:06 am »

Hudson and all. The regular, internal money orders from the US are easily deposited at the Royal Bank. I know that other banks and post offices will not cash them. It may be better to check with your bank first before rejecting all money orders intended to be internal from the USA.

I have deposited many of these without difficulty.

Rick
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 03:43:50 pm »

Interesting... In Saskatoon I have had great difficulty. As in "No, we cannot because we are outside the specified areas" sort of thing.
I wonder if it has to do with a branch knowing about certain cross border clearing processes?  
To this date I have never been able to cash the green ones in Canada.  But I will try next time I get one. Thanks for the info!
Huds

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:26:27 pm »

It seems that the RBC owns some banks in the US, and they do much of the cash foreign exchange. I asked the first time I took one in, and they said "no problem". I suspect I have deposited at least a dozen, without problems.

Rick
CCCS
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:18:50 pm »

I have deposit some at the Bank of Montreal. I know they own the Henry's Bank in New York so it may explain it.

Louis
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 09:42:46 pm »

Well, I did some walking and talking today to RBC, and found out some stuff about it.

I talked to the operations manager about it. He said he has personally seen them get sent back.  
If I had a Centura Account, that wouldn't happen.  But I don't have one of those.

I asked him if it was because the people involved in the clearing did not know the proceedure (much like how some banks "do not" know how to order bricks).  There was no difinite answer on this.

Conclusion I have to come up with is this:
There is a good possibility that it may come back (and it could be a long while before it would show up), according to this operations manager.  

There may be some considerations made for those who are extra valued clients ($$$$) lol, I am not close to that right now ;).

On those words, it would be out of caution that I would use an image like above. Just to make things smoother.

If either of you figure out more details about how that works exactly, would you care to share please?  
Then I can print it off and show them what to do here in Edmonton. :)

Huds
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 09:45:02 pm by hudsonab »

rew150
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 11:10:54 pm »

TD sends them back..takes awhile but they get returned. FYI
Dr.Bill
  • CPMS Member 1520
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:10:34 am »

I bank at BNS, Toronto. I have deposited everything the Americans send over, including the GREEN postal money order. None were ever rejected! I do have a US currency account with them. That might be the explanation.
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 04:52:21 pm »

I deal with the National Bank and did not have a problem for a few years and in the past 2 years they have not accepted any of the green ones.

Denis

Login with username, password and session length