Author
Topic: Is this an error note or ...?  (Read 4205 times)
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:47:04 am »

Hi everyone. I recieved a bunch of older CTC money and came across these two notes. As you can see there is a big difference in colour. I don't think it's fading because the serial number is still very bright. Any thoughts??

[attachment deleted by admin]
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:26:00 pm »

and the front

it almost has the same colouring as the $1 coupon

[attachment deleted by admin]
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:22:25 pm »

The back of the note looks to be an error. Could it also be worn off? Possibly due to the way it was stored for the past couple decades..? Just reasoning here, if I collected CTC notes I would have a more valid opinion.
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:55:38 pm »

I thought of fading and washing but I figured that the serial #'s would be the first to be effected.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 02:27:13 am »

Good point, also if the CTC notes are anything like canadian paper money then the serial number is one of the last items to be put on in the printing process.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 01:21:39 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong -- but doesn't the note look as if its been stored in wax paper?  I think if you store a note next to wax paper it can make the note fade or look weird (--this isn't from experience --someone told me this).  The printer's plate ink is different from the SN ink and reacts differently.

ctmoneyfreak
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:33:01 pm »

The printing press stamps serial numbers last, which use a heavier more durable dye. If note is washed or something along those lines, it will fade; but serial number will be harder to remove. Any money note representing just a serial number is still valid, regardless if you couldnt make out the rest!!  
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 04:55:00 pm »

The note doesn't appear to be washed. Anyways, why would the colour on the front resemble the $1 coupon??

Login with username, password and session length