Author
Topic: From the BOC...  (Read 3694 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:33:35 am »

Hi everyone, this is an unedited quote taked directly from an email sent to me from Sylvie Dionne at the Bank of Canada.  Of course, in regards to inserts.
On sudzee's site, there is a small bit about a letter using the word "replacement" and of course we drew logical conclusions from it, however, this quote is a little more concise. Not really "new" information, but at least it is confirmed.  :)

These are her EXACT WORDS... begin quote:
"The Bank of Canada stopped identifying replacement notes with a special identification in 1996 and has adopted a procedure commonly used among other central banks. Notes are now taken from regular production and used as replacements to replace notes found during the examination process that did not meet the quality standards.  This procedure is less time consuming and more practical for both the Bank and its printers.  They enter circulation through the normal distribution process.

In any bundle of notes, the Bank doesn't require the bank notes printers to place the serial number in consecutive order. Therefore, it doesn't mean that when a group of non consecutive serial numbers are in the middle of a bundle of notes that they were used are replacement notes."
End quote.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:36:23 am by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 10:41:53 am »

Can I assume from the last paragragh that this refers to notes with the same prefix only?
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:14:51 am »

Here is a little item I found in a recent brick.  Do you think this is a new extension of the already existing insert range, a new range, or the continuation of the the printers discression. See the large range of numbers.  Not in sequence but all very much the same

HOR 12522920-1522977 (42/44) ,[highlight]possible insert 1492910,911,914,916,940,941[/highlight] (28/32)-1526427-462

There were 2 other inserts in there and they  were in the confirmed insert range.  These  all came from a new uncirculated brick.  
  What do you think?
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »

I would think IF these notes were found in the same fashion as the Known Inserts they might be an extension of the known.

977 ? Strange place for Inserts though with that prefix..... The Random spots did not show up till much later. HOR was always very predictable in finding the inserts.  :-/

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 07:41:53 pm »

I don't think they are inserts.    The CBN shuffles notes around every now and then. (Have a look at my EZD brick post in the hi/low to see better).

Hold onto them for now thoughjust to be safe.
H

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length