Author
Topic: Bank of Montreal  1858  (Read 4256 times)
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:24:17 am »

I  have managed to locate from  the  Internet  images of three  Bank of Montreal  $5  (25 Shillings)
"English  Issue"  notes,  one  each  from  London,  Quebeck (sic), and Kingston.   The  only  source  which  I  have concerning  chartered  bank notes  stated  quite  a  few  years  ago  that  "All notes  of these  designs  dated  1858  or 1864  are counterfeits."  Is this  statement  still correct;  all  these  1858  images are of counterfeit notes??
              If  any  of  you  happen  to  have  any images  of the  rarer or more  exotic notes  of  the
Bank of  Montreal  and would be willing  to  share  them with  me,  I would  be most  grateful  for your assistance.  (Actually,  I  could  use  images from  any of  the  chartered  banks.)   THANK YOU. :-/
                                                          bernard_schaaf@hotmail.com
Bob
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:07:50 am »

Yes, they are still counterfeit, and will not morph into genuine notes any time soon.  They were not condemned because somebody "thought" they looked counterfeit, but on the basis of incontrovertible documentary evidence.
Many of the 1852 English Issue surviving notes are counterfeits as well, sadly, but there are some genuine examples.  The Bank had a very bad experience with that issue, and placed no more orders with the printer.
Valuable information on the English Issue was published in the CPMS Newsletter issue of Dec. 2004.

Collecting Canadian since 1955

Login with username, password and session length