Author
Topic: 1937 $1 Missing serial number  (Read 5678 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:52:28 am »

WOW can this be real!  :o it looks like it? What do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Member 1564
happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 12:45:02 pm »

Archey, I had a 1954 $1 like this that looked fairly real but when you held it up to the light you could see some red residue leftover from the serial number. There must be some chemicals that will remove the serial number without affecting the rest of the note. I'd be very careful about buying a note like this unless you can examine it up close. And even then, I'd be suspicious of any note that isn't at least in AU/Unc condition since I think it would be very hard to remove the serial number without affecting the quality of the paper somewhat...
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 01:07:27 pm »

I would tend to agree.  The Charlton catalogue specifically states:

"Serial numbers are known to have been removed with the intention to deceive collectors.  Circulated notes, particularly, lacking serial numbers need to be authenticated."

I have seen many circulated 1954 notes in dealer cases with missing serial numbers that upon close inspection show impressions of the serial numbers that were chemically removed.

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 05:00:45 pm »

The area of the serial numbers also appears faded, indicating that perhaps something was done there. Normally the tint across that part should be fairly even with the rest of the note.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 05:45:43 pm »

$51.15 I'm was making a modest starting bid when I came across that same warning in the Catalog too. I'll agree with BW that the background where the numbers should be seems lighter even compared to the my well-worn 1937 one's (around VG-F condition). I blew the picture up but I found it hard to conclude if there was any tampering. Therefore I'll spare myself selling something else to finance it. If I were newbie collector problematic notes would turn me off, especially in the area of errors When the time comes I'll stick to reputable members or dealers and it'll be worth the extra time and expense.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:51:28 pm »

I like the "From a large estate recently purchased" and the guy has 6 notes up in 2 lots.  That seems like a small estate to me.

Tom

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 08:12:53 pm »

Sold for $513 Canadaian !  :-?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:12:53 pm »

Oh man, I just hope it's the real thing. The seller seems willing to offer a satisfaction guarantee according to the description.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
canadianpaper
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 04:03:12 pm »

I would tend to pass on this item - especially for that price without being able to view the note. Good luck to the winner!
emsteph
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:44:53 pm »

An Osbourne to boot...
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 02:00:24 pm »

here is a  second note looks the same....

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Member 1564
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:22 pm »

The microprinting looks like its been erased where the SN should be.  Awful shame to see a perfectly good Osborne note spoiled like that!

Login with username, password and session length