Author
Topic: Official Bank of Canada Notice, Release of $5 Note  (Read 13996 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:32:35 pm »

Bank of Canada to issue upgraded $5 bank note
OTTAWA—The Bank of Canada will officially put into circulation Canada's upgraded $5 bank note on Wednesday, 15 November 2006.

On that date, the Bank of Canada will also be holding several events across the country. Members of the media and individual Canadians who wish to familiarize themselves with the upgraded $5 bank note and its enhanced security features can do so at one of the following locations.

MONTRÉAL, QUÉBEC

Event: Information kiosk
Where: Place Ville-Marie, Restaurant Area
(Across from Tristan).
Time: 11:00 to 18:00 (EST)
Participants: Sgt. André Bacon, RCMP
Audrey Bordeleau, Analyst, Bank of Canada

TORONTO, ONTARIO

Where: Toronto Eaton Centre, Level 1, Centre Court
(Across from the Pottery Barn)  
Time: 10:00 to 16:00 (EST)
Participants: Paul de Swart, Senior Regional Representative (Currency), Bank of Canada
Manuel Parreira, Senior Analyst, Bank of Canada
Jodie Sales, Analyst, Bank of Canada
Sgt. Moshe Gordon, RCMP

WINNIPEG, MANITOBA

Where: Portage Place Mall, Edmonton Court
393 Portage Avenue
Time: 11:00 to 18:00 (CST)
Participants: Michelle Witkowski, Analyst, Bank of Canada
Thil Carver, RCMP
A representative from the Winnipeg City Police

OTTAWA, ONTARIO

Event: Opening ceremonies for the Colour of Your Money exhibition, includes a welcoming address by Deputy Governor Pierre Duguay to students who participated in the Historica Foundation Heritage Fair
Where: Currency Museum of the Bank of Canada, Garden Court
245 Sparks Street
Time: 10:30 to 11:00 (EST)
Participants: Pierre Duguay, Deputy Governor, Bank of Canada
Natalie Wright, Assistant Director, Bank Note Communication and Compliance
Shirley Betts, Assistant Director, Currency Museum

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Kitsune
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:24:34 am »

how quickly will they be available at banks? does it typically take a day or two?
suretteda
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:35:51 am »

Bank of Canada Issues Upgraded $5 Bank Note

OTTAWA—The Bank of Canada today put into circulation a $5 note with upgraded security features in order to improve the security of Canadian bank notes. The note will be available across Canada within a few weeks.

The design, colour, and illustrations of the upgraded note remain the same as those of the previously issued $5 notes from the Canadian Journey series.

The upgraded $5 note will include the now-familiar set of improved security features found on all other notes in the Canadian Journey series. These features include a metallic holographic stripe, a watermark portrait, a windowed colour-shifting thread woven into the paper, and a see-through number. To increase its durability, the upgraded $5 note is printed on a slightly heavier paper and is coated with a protective varnish.

"The high level of security now found on the $5 bank note will make it harder than ever to counterfeit," said RCMP Inspector Barry Baxter, Officer in Charge, Counterfeit and Identity Fraud. "Nonetheless, it is important that Canadians check their bank notes. Not only to protect themselves, but to make it harder for criminals to pass counterfeit money."

For more information on Canadian bank notes and their security features, as well as for educational and training materials, visit http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/.

Note to Editors:

Images of the front and back of the upgraded $5 note are available to the media upon request. Anyone wishing to publish bank note images must first obtain written permission from the Bank of Canada (http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/legislation/repro.html).
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:49:54 pm »

how quickly will they be available at banks? does it typically take a day or two?

Depending how large the branch is I would venture within 2 weeks. It also depends on whether or not the Bank of Canada allows the distribution centers to continue issuing bricks of pre-updated security $5s.
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:01:36 pm »

Went to Toronto to visit the Bank of Canada booth today, in hopes of purchasing some new $5 notes. I was told that they didn't have any but Scotia bank had some. Went to Scotia, and apparently someone just purchased their last bundle minutes before me. >:(

So needless to say, it was a wasted trip to Toronto.

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:34:08 pm »

I went to 4 Banks in Toronto today not one had any! Went to a ScotiaBank,TD Bank, RBC, and CIBC

Anyone find any?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:22:39 pm »

I got some from Scotiabank this morning in downtown T.O. Scotiabank consistenty have the new notes first, they had the new 100s, 50s and 20s first, while BMO had the new upgraded 10s when the came out.
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:28:01 pm »

What the prefix and serial numbers of the notes you got?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Kitsune
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 05:36:53 pm »

Depending how large the branch is I would venture within 2 weeks. It also depends on whether or not the Bank of Canada allows the distribution centers to continue issuing bricks of pre-updated security $5s.

Its quite odd, all the CIBCs I called didnt even have a clue about the new fives, but the Scotias knew very well about them...
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 07:20:03 pm »

Checked out one TD today, nothing.  

Your best bet is the main BMO branch at Bay & King, I bet they have them.  I got the upgraded Journey $10 there on the first day.  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 07:45:25 pm »

I just called Scotiabank main commercial branch in Vancouver and they told me over the phone that they are in.  I won't be able to get there before they close.  I'll head down tomorrow morning and see if I get lucky.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:51:03 pm »

Your best bet is the main BMO branch at Bay & King.  

I am going to head to that branch tomorrow first thing. Thanks I hope they have them  :-?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:32:38 pm »

No tellers at CIBC, RBC, BMO, Scotia, TD Trust had any idea or clue that the new $5's were out today or that they even redesigned the $5 with newer security features? They never received any memos, pamphlets or literature about the new $5 from the BOC?

I don't get it, you'd think they would have received a memo telling them to expect the new $5 or at least a picture of the new bill and it's new features? I mean bank tellers have to know the security features of the new bill since they handle money and they are on the front lines to protect and stop counterfeiting while handling cash. Seems like I felt I was the only one in town who knew about the new $5s. I expect that the bills will arrive at some banks by Friday. Also most of the banks thought they probably wouldn't be getting the new 5s anytime soon. But when the new $50, 20 and 10s came out, they mostly had them a couple days after release.
schoqmcloi
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 09:33:41 pm »

I went to a Caisse Populaire Desjardins Bank here in Quebec, they receive an order but it was the old 5's some HOZ. They expect to get it next wednesday.

I wonder if which will be the prefix especially that the HPA are printed in 2005 they will probably have to destroy quite a few.

Serge
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 10:20:06 pm »

Your best bet is the main BMO branch at Bay & King.  

I am going to head to that branch tomorrow first thing. Thanks I hope they have them  :-?

Arthur
They should...I work at First Canadian Place and the main BMO branch has had ALL of the other Journey notes for me on day of issue - the $10, $5, $100, $20, $50 and the upgraded $10.  I was too busy today to see about the upgraded $5's, but I'll bet BMO had them...I tried TD for a couple of the prior Journey issues, but they were clueless and didn't even know the new notes were coming out  :-?

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 10:44:12 pm »

O so they should have a brick for me tormorrow  8-) o I cant wait

Anyone know the prefix?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 12:49:35 am »

No tellers at CIBC, RBC, BMO, Scotia, TD Trust had any idea or clue that the new $5's were out today or that they even redesigned the $5 with newer security features? They never received any memos, pamphlets or literature about the new $5 from the BOC?

I don't get it, you'd think they would have received a memo telling them to expect the new $5 or at least a picture of the new bill and it's new features?

I'm sure the BOC was very thorough in its communication with the banks on the new notes.  But remember that the tellers are way far down at the bottom of the pole.  Just imagine all of the supervisors, sub-managers, managers, regional managers you would have to go through to get to the people the BOC would have been talking with.  With all those levels of management I'm not at all surprised that the info hasn't trickled down to the bottom.  I'm sure there are cases and cases of unopened BOC promotional material sitting under middle management's desks in banks all over the country.   :-/

Similarly, letter carriers are often the last people to know that the price of postage has gone up.  :)

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 01:12:06 am »

Actually no one at my TD branch was told of, or given any information concerning the new $5 notes. The only reason anyone at my branch knows, is because I have told them, and repeatedly give them a count down as to how many days are left before they come out everytime I'm at the branch.(which is quite often.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:12:22 am by Manada »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 01:00:04 pm »

And the question "[size=14]what is the prefix on the new $5?" [/size]remains a mystery....

Are any of you who have found the new fives going to let us in on the new prefix?

:-/ OOPS:
AOH and
Just seen Sudzee's post: he's found an AOM
(interesting!)
Does this mean they will go from AOG to AOM (for now)?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:06:51 pm by walktothewater »

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 04:32:38 pm »

Nobody has spotted an AOG yet.  I suspect it'll come along soon.

The real question is where are the HP_ notes ???  Where will they start?  HPB?  HPC?  I suspect that HPB and maybe even HPC were printed up as 2002s only to be unreleased and destroyed.  

Corkum
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 12:30:17 am »

Hey all,

I went through some bricks today and got a radar 8553558 out of it. The prefix on all the notes I looked through were AOK. The branch I went to was HSBC in Toronto. They just got them in yesterday I think.

Hope that answers the prefix question!!
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:51 am »

And the question "[size=14]what is the prefix on the new $5?" [/size]remains a mystery....

Are any of you who have found the new fives going to let us in on the new prefix?

:-/ OOPS:
AOH and
Just seen Sudzee's post: he's found an AOM
(interesting!)
Does this mean they will go from AOG to AOM (for now)?

Maybe it's the first Insert!!!!!
Or a slight 'excess ink' error making the H's look like M's.  ;)

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 02:02:31 am »

Well it looks like the first suspected upgraded $5 insert is in the AOK 2.01-2.055 range.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 02:05:08 am by Manada »

amarka
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 01:37:22 am »

Well it looks like the first suspected upgraded $5 insert is in the AOK 2.01-2.055 range.

I've not been to this forum for a few months, or longer and now I am very confused regarding the changeover notes and prefixes and highs/lows

If the prefix AOK in the quote above is the first prefix for the upgraded $5 note, then why does this thread that I have shown below state that the first upgraded note was in the AOJ prefix?

Upgraded $5 note is Jenkins-Dodge, Issue of 2006, Printed in 2006 and AOJ0330299 - Miss, ON

I've gone to http://wiki.bwjm.ca/index.php?title=Canadian_Journey_Series_2006_%245_Jenkins/Dodge_Notes but cannot figure out which prefix was the changeover prefix from the old journey $5 note to the upgraded $5 note.  I am assuming at this forum that references to the "upgraded" $5 note, refers to the recently (Nov 15) issued new $5 notes with the security thread.

As an aside, it's been so long since I logged into the forum that my old id and password did not work, so I had to create a new user name and password, was this true for everyone?

Sorry for all the questions.  I really would like to know what prefix the new $5 notes began with.

Thanks a million,
Mark   :)

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 03:04:09 am »

Hello Mark,

The old style $5 Journey notes ended at AOF.  
So far, the first known and confirmed issue of the new series $ Journey notes are AOH.  

I believe as of yet, no one has seen AOG for some reason or another.   Most likely the sequence will be.... AOG (if it exists), AOH, AOI (unlikely as the I can be confused with number 1) AOJ, AOK, AOL, AOM, AON, and so on... (no AOO, and AOX).  

I hope this helps.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:05:52 am by coinsplus »

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 09:54:17 am »

There were many prefix's released all at the same time to supply the nation wide demand and the first prefix letters may not have gotten out from the back of the vault yet.

A few months ago inactive members were removed to improved the sites space and performance, nice to have you back.

Gary_T
amarka
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 12:21:19 pm »

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the detailed response and information.  That clears up my questions!

Maybe these upgraded $5's with similar ending prefixes as those difficult bird $2's will be just as interesting to follow and collect... is it just a coincidence or do you think the BofC makes it interesting just for us collectors?  ;)    

And thanks Gary for the warm welcome back, it has been a while!

If I can hunt down any of those early prefixes I will post on this site.

All the best,
Mark
 :)
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 08:53:19 pm »

Received a couple bricks of HOVs today. Looks like central distribution is about to unleash the remainder of the HO and HP stock. There may still be a possibility of HPB showing up in the next couple of months.

Gary
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 01:39:23 am »

From what I have heard from my contacts at Intria (BC Distribution Centre)... they pretty much have distributed all of the older Journey Notes and only have the new $5 Journey notes on hand for distribution to banks, etc.   They are soon ready to cull back the older version $5 notes in the spring/summer 2007.

For those who are not familiar with Intria - here's a link:
http://www.intriaitemsinc.com/treasury.htm

Login with username, password and session length