Author
Topic: "Protective varnish" on 2006 fives?  (Read 19505 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:09:59 am »

I spotted this interesting line in today's BOC press release:

To increase its durability, the upgraded $5 note is printed on a slightly heavier paper and is coated with a protective varnish.

This is new, right?  Those of you that have the new notes now, how to they compare to those HOWs from recent months?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:25:38 pm »

THere were OODLES of notes with a protective varnish. I have a letter I sent to BOC and the DID NOT adress this issue with the HOU's and what not.  There were TONS of notes that had it, you may have found bricks that were basically "striped".   Different tone.

I will get the details on here as soon as I a finished failing the rest of my final exams.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:49:05 pm »

I got some 2006 fives from Scotiabank in Vancouver today.  There definitely is some sort of coating on the face.  It is shiny and feels waxy.  It's not the same as the different paper that was seen on the HOWs and others.  The backs of the new fives are slightly shiny too, but not like the faces.

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 06:14:42 pm »

There definately is a varnish on both the front and backs of the new bills.  Unlike the old series which had a rough texture on the top right corner of the backs, this is a uniform coating.  While much more noticeable on the fronts, both sides equally repell most inks and wipe off with a damp cloth leaving little indication of previous marking.

I can see how this new feature would be very beneficial to the BOC by increasing the lifespan of the bills and deterring any graffiti.  Should this first run be a success how long before all our bills incorporate the coating?  This seems like a perfect test for a new feature like this and a better option than going Polymer I think.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:22:45 pm »

While much more noticeable on the fronts, both sides equally repell most inks and wipe off with a damp cloth leaving little indication of previous marking.

Yeah, a lot of the folks at Where's Willy have noticed this and all heck is breaking loose. :'(

http://forums.whereswilly.com/showthread.php?t=62204
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 08:38:12 pm by grandish »

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 07:54:28 pm »

Hey, all the Where's Willy people have to do is write their messages on labels, cut them down to size and stick them to the notes.

At least this new varnish on the notes might keep them in AU/UNC condition a little while longer than they would on the old paper after passing through ATMs and automatic counting machines.  I still haven't seen one of the new fives yet...but if this varnish is so resilient wouldn't it be harder to detect pressed notes (unless of course the varnish is impaired by the pressing)?

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 09:09:02 pm »

I have been carrying around a bundle of 100 in my front pants pocket for the last three days (I know there will be a joke about this). Just looked at them, the corners are still pretty sharp (Except for the outer notes.  The varnish I think wil definitly add life to these notes.  

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 10:59:38 pm »

I have been carrying around a bundle of 100 in my front pants pocket for the last three days (I know there will be a joke about this)...  
Yes, there will:

1. Let's assume that 1 of these 100 $5 notes has been marked with a reference to the "Where's Willy" site.

2. If you should meet a "Where's Willy" follower tomorrow (say at a coin show), and he asks if you've seen Willy, would you point to the bulge in your front pants pocket and say "He's right in here"?

3. If you then spend that "Where's Willy" note after it has been in the confines of your front pocket for FOUR days, would that mean you have finally "Freed Willy"?

4. Over the past three days, how many people have asked you: "Is that a roll of money in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"  ::) ;) :D ;D :-X

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 08:47:24 pm »

These notes are indeed more durable. I had a few in my wallet for the past few days, circulating them around, and I've noticed that the notes seem to bit hard to unravel after being in your wallet, it's very hard to flatten them as the notes are more stiff. I also took my address stamp, stamped them over a few, and was able to wipe them off easily with a tissue. I also put water on a few, simulating a water spill and the notes seem unscathed.

Darn it, it means that there won't be that many new notes being printed.  >:( On the other hand, I won't have to see $5s that look like rags that often.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 09:46:54 pm »

Just got a bunch of these today.
You know, I'm gonna miss those semi-reflective little 'Maple leafs' on the front and those 'Little snowflakes' on the top back of the 2005's. But they seemed a little wavy too. I'll just keep an old 2005 bill around and say to my guests. "You know kid's there used to be nice little maple leafs and snowflakes on them."

Speaking of snowflakes, it's just started snowing here. Yipee !

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 03:45:34 am »

THere were OODLES of notes with a protective varnish. I have a letter I sent to BOC and the DID NOT adress this issue with the HOU's and what not.  There were TONS of notes that had it, you may have found bricks that were basically "striped".   Different tone.

I will get the details on here as soon as I a finished failing the rest of my final exams.

Please see my post in the infamous Test notes thread about these questionable $5s.

kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 02:37:35 am »

For those who have got the AOFs lately, does anybody notice the Protective Varnish is different from the AOK, AOL....?

AOFs appear to have a lighter shine on them both front and back, plus the Varnish on the back is not on the whole note, but only shows up in the same areas as the old series like HPA...

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:38:32 am by kobecurrency »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 06:05:55 am »

I can confirm that AOF 6.117M has varnish similar to HPA notes, and that AOG 9.276M has varnish similar to AOK, AOL, etc. This is based on observation of notes I have in-hand.

I have sent a request for details to the Bank, so we'll see what happens there.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 01:53:31 pm »

Very Interesting?  :o

I will wait till I have samples before I comment or speculate any further...  :-?

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 06:58:15 pm »

Just received a bunch of AOFs without the protective varnish.  These notes are in the ranges of 7.6 million.  I tested one out with a handstamp and hi-liter and both adhered to the bill. :)  They look and feel the same as the HPAs.

These bills obviously were printed before the protective coating was perfected and were probably held back to allow the others to run their course and see how the coating held out.

Login with username, password and session length