Author
Topic: What's that shiny stuff??  (Read 6138 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: March 21, 2004, 09:47:48 pm »

What's the shiny stuff that's on the top left corner on the backs of the new Journey notes?  It's on all of them but is most noticeable on the new $100.  Is it some sort of security feature?  I never see it mentioned on the BoC's security feature info.  

Maybe it's a "secret" security feature, like the infrared right-hand serial number?

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, but I seem to be locked out of the BoC and Canadian Journey Series forums. ???  I've moved it to the Journey notes forum.  --BWJM
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 03:10:22 pm by BWJM »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
lenny
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 01:16:49 am »

I think it's similar to the coating found on 5's and 10's. I've been told it reinforces the tactile feature from general wear and tear. However, seeing how it also includes a 'latent' image of a snowflake (5) and doves (10), it could act as a security feature. Sorry, don't have the 100 yet but hope this answers the question.

Lenny
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 03:12:12 pm »

There's definitely a similar type of coating in the top-left corner of the back of the note, but the $100 doesn't contain any latent images like the $5 and $10 do.  I was expecting a little satellite or something up there.  In all truth, I haven't a clue what purpose the coating serves, but my only guess is that it's an un-mentioned security feature.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 03:58:42 pm »

Later this afternoon, I'm going to shine a UV light on a new hundred and see is anything weird shows up.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 04:30:48 pm »

That stuff seems to be UV-dull.  It appears as though the only UV-reflective features are the yellow and red fibres and the yellow and red coat of arms, text, etc.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length